Senior Director, Development
Senior Director, Development
San Francisco, CA
2020 marks Worldreader’s 10th year of working with partners to transform underserved communities through the power of reading. We do this work because reading matters – readers achieve better educational success, improve their earning potential, and lead healthier, happier lives. Our goals are ambitious. By 2025, Worldreader will reach 25 million readers, who will benefit from access to high-quality digital books and content that enhances their learning and brings the power and joy of stories to their lives.
As an innovative nonprofit organization, Worldreader operates with a social-entrepreneurial ethos. Committed to being bold, talented, collaborative and respectful, Worldreader actively addresses the needs of readers through partnerships with other NGOs, community-based organizations, government agencies, corporates, publishers, funders, and dedicated donors.
For more information on Worldreader, please visit website.
ABOUT THE SENIOR DIRECTOR, DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY
With the launch of its next five-year impact strategy, Worldreader seeks a Senior Director, Development with global experience raising at least $10M annually, and campaign experience of at least $25M. This dynamic leader will guide Worldreader’s development strategy and execution, ensuring alignment to the organization’s five-year impact goals. Leading a six-member global team, this person will be instrumental in positioning Worldreader as a partner-driven organization, agile and leveraged for scale.
The Senior Director, Development will build a global revenue team, develop effective operational systems, and ensure quality engagement and stewardship across all Worldreader donor and funder streams. The ideal candidate comes with an understanding of international development, significant management experience, and demonstrated ability to build a global development unit along with its associated operations. In addition, the Senior Director, Development candidate is ambitious, innovative, high-energy, results-driven, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. This position reports to the Chief Impact Officer and is based in San Francisco, CA.
Specifically, the Senior Director, Development will create and oversee the execution of Worldreader’s global revenue plan, including:
Quality and Creative Stewardship
- Develop, implement and oversee systems and quality standards for donor stewardship.
- Create and oversee corporate, foundations and major donor programs.
- Serve as the primary relationship manager for a portfolio of the organization’s top corporate and philanthropic donors and prospects; plan, develop and oversee the implementation of individual strategies for the entire portfolio.
- Strategically leverage the US and global boards and current donors in prospect identification, visits, and solicitations, as appropriate.
- Continuously research and identify new leads and work diligently to convert to active donors.
- Skillfully manage and coach a global team for greater revenue success in multiple geographies.
- Maximize Worldreader’s Senior Leadership team for achievement of revenue goals.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of fundraising/business development consultant(s) and identify new consultants and associates who can bring in additional expertise.
- Demonstrate a collaborative approach to support cross-functional revenue tactics.
Strategic Development Operations
- Support regional offices in execution of regional revenue plans in collaboration with Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships and Senior Director, Global Impact.
- Develop and support donor events and international donor travel processes and protocols
- Deliver accurate and timely revenue pipeline and forecasts to Chief Impact Officer.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement within the global development team.
CANDIDATE PROFILE AND QUALIFICATIONS
As the incoming Senior Director, Development, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Commitment to early literacy and the power of literacy to impact lives
- Significant experience leading a high-performing fundraising, sales, or business development team
- Demonstrated success soliciting and securing six and seven figure gifts
- Exceptional grant and technical writing skills
- Demonstrated track record of successfully working cross-functionally with program and marketing/communications staff to ensure successful fundraising
- Experienced fundraising in an international context and/or fundraising for reading/literacy programs is preferred
- Passion for and knowledge of technology and data for social good
- Advanced knowledge of special campaign planning and implementation is preferred
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as needed
- Advanced proficiency in English, written and oral
- Legal authorization to work in the United States
- Proficient in Salesforce
Worldreader is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications
from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, members of the LGBTQ+ community,
and other underrepresented applicants.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Worldreader offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes:
- Comprehensive health benefits and a generous time-off
- A 403b retirement plan with employer contributions and matching
- Formal opportunities for professional development
- The opportunity to work with talented and passionate people committed to a world where everyone is a reader
Cassie Scarano at Koya Leadership Partners has been retained for this engagement. To apply for this role or make recommendations, please visit this link.
ABOUT KOYA LEADERSHIP PARTNERS
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.