Executive Director, One Colorado
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, ONE COLORADO
One Colorado is seeking a passionate and experienced leader to guide the vision and strategy for this next stage of our organization’s growth and impact. Ideal candidates will be committed to advancing equity and equality, understanding the unique needs and struggles of the LGBTQ community as well as the intersections of various identities. One Colorado pursues systems change through public education and advocacy, and our next Executive Director will have the experience, insight and instincts to engage effectively with the General Assembly, executive branch, and local governments to build a more just Colorado. This position calls for a movement leader who can inspire, connect, and champion our community.
Incorporated in November 2009, One Colorado (501c4) and One Colorado Education Fund (501c3) were founded in response to an October 2009 statewide assessment of Colorado’s advocacy effort. Based in Denver, Colorado, One Colorado and One Colorado Education Fund, in partnership with advocates on behalf of Colorado’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) people. These organizations have built a statewide network and presence in support of their shared vision and mission.
The organization has more than 106,000 supporters statewide with offices in Denver and Grand Junction and programs focused on Safe Schools & Youth, LGBTQ Health Equity, Transgender Equality, Alliance Building, and Civic Engagement & Advocacy.
One Colorado’s and One Colorado Education Fund’s shared Executive Director position has the ultimate responsibility for leading these organizations and will have an initial focus on implementing all programs and strategies identified by the organizations’ Board of Directors. The Executive Director will be responsible for fundraising, organization and program development, public relations, staff relations and development, and community organizing and partnerships. The Executive Director will work closely with the Board of Directors to further the vision and mission of One Colorado and One Colorado Education Fund.
Position: Executive Director
Hours: Full-time, must be able to work evenings and weekends
Salary: $100-120,000, commensurate with experience
Benefits: Full benefits package with a medical, dental, retirement plan with partial employer match, generous time-off benefits, EcoPass, and cell phone reimbursement.
The Executive Director (ED) of One Colorado and One Colorado Education Fund will be a dynamic and proven leader who will work with the Board and staff to fulfill the organizations’ vision and mission.
The Executive Director has six major areas of responsibility:
- Staff recruitment, development and retention;
- Strategic partnerships, organizational and programmatic development;
- Lobbying and Legislative Oversight;
- Marketing, Public Relations, and Communications;
- Operational Leadership, board development and engagement.
We’re looking for someone with the following:
- 5+ years of experience in senior management-level positions in non-profit, social justice, governmental, or corporate sectors
- 5+ years of fundraising experience, including donor relations and stewardship
- Demonstrated ability to shape public policy, influence institutional reform or effect organizational change
- Experience in political or social-change campaigns
- Budget creation and management, including fiscal management and non-profit accounting practices
- Strategic planning
- Working with and reporting to a Board of Directors
- Working in or with statewide organizations and organizing efforts
- Experience managing 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations
- Working within campaign finance rules and regulations, including reporting with the Colorado Secretary of State
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written
- Exceptional speaking and presentation skills
- Outstanding relationship-building skills
- Consistent attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to develop, execute, and maintain new programs
- Ability to create effective, efficient, and high-functioning organizational structures
- Demonstrated ability in building, growing, and managing organizations through transition
- Demonstrated ability to manage time and people, evaluate progress, and adjust activities as necessary
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment
- Self-motivated and self-managed
- Knowledge of and commitment to LGBTQ issues and activism
- Bold vision for justice and equality
- Exceptional work ethic
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion, including an understanding of systemic and institutional racism
- Ability to see and understand varied and conflicting points of view
- Ability to work with grasstops and opinion leaders, and maintain confidence and “grace under pressure”
- Persistent and determined
- Political acumen
Applicants must have reliable transportation, with the expectation of in-state travel 5-10 days a month.
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter via Workable. Use your cover letter to highlight any experience you have leading in social justice or advocacy work, leading high-functioning, diverse teams for impact, building and implementing broad-based public education campaigns, and/or growing funding streams to scale up organizational operations. You will also be asked to write an introductory paragraph to communicate why you are excited to work at One Colorado.
One Colorado / One Colorado Education Fund is seeking a collaborative, strategic and visionary executive director to lead us into our second decade. OC/EF is launching an executive search in service of identifying a person with the ability to assess the current needs of the LGBTQ community in Colorado and recommend a path forward that will best serve LGBTQ Coloradans’ most pressing needs. In this time of national transition and reckoning OC/EF is inviting new leadership, new insights, new programmatic recommendations, and potentially a revised mission to establish our direction.
While not assuming the necessity of sweeping organizational change, the boards of OC/EF are inviting strategic, bold visions for the organization grounded in the current national, state and local landscape. We are excited to have the opportunity, with the transition of the executive director, to assess and potentially change our work.
We anticipate a thorough search process that will culminate in finalists making a presentation to the board of directors.
One Colorado Education Fund is an aggressive advocate for inclusivity and welcomes applications from all, particularly from people of color, women, LGBTQ people, immigrants or refugees, people with disabilities, veterans, and people from low- or moderate-income backgrounds.
One Colorado Education Fund is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, disability status, veteran status, military obligations, marital status, political party affiliation, or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable federal, state, or local laws.