Major Gifts Officer, Criminal Justice Reform
The Anti-Recidivism Coalition (ARC) is seeking a Major Gifts Officer (MGO) to design, develop, and implement a major gifts program in an effort to broaden its reach, ensure stability of revenue, and grow our network of supporters in anticipation of our 10th Anniversary in 2023. The MGO is responsible for managing and cultivating relationships with existing major gift prospects, as well as identifying new prospects through a process of research and networking, building a pipeline of potential donors qualified by affinity, capacity, and propensity to give. While the focus of the MGO will be building and engaging a pipeline of individual donors, the MGO will also maintain key relationships at foundations and other institutional funders. An ability to empathize with donors and clearly communicate ARC’s mission is key. The MGO will need to energize team members (including board, staff, and other stakeholders), persuade prospects, and be actively soliciting through continuously matching donor needs and interests with ARC’s mission and case-for-giving.
As manager of ARC’s major gift program, the candidate will:
- Help donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with our organization.
- Secure major gifts at the $1k to $25k level with the goal of raising $100k during the inaugural year of the program, and bigger targets in future years, after the program is established.
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, including our donor database and wealth screening tools.
- Manage existing portfolio of donors and prospects.
- Work with the development department to align efforts and set goals.
- Create and implement moves management plans.
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist the board and other staff with their solicitation (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications).
- Of top priority is the ability to support and staff the CEO with his own portfolio, ensuring that he is well-versed in the needs and interests of his prospects and is adhering to a calendar of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Acknowledge major donors through the type of public and private recognition that they prefer.
- Track and report progress using specific metrics.
This job might be for you if:
- While most people would rather get a root canal than ask people for money, you’re a salesperson through and through — especially if you’re selling a cause!
- You’re a true people person with an outgoing nature. You’re a self-starter and are driven by results.
- You have at least 6 of years of nonprofit fundraising experience and have shown an ability to secure individual and major gifts and meet objectives.
- You make donors feel valued because you’re sensitive to their needs. You’re also not afraid to move from friend-raising to fund-raising when it’s time to make the ask.
- You are comfortable using a donor database, prospect research and other wealth screening tools to aid in your moves management process.
- You have honed your writing and speaking skills and use them to compel individuals to action.
- You aren’t someone who spends a lot of time in the weeds, but you know donors expect you to be organized, prepared, detail-oriented and to follow through on promises.
- People are inspired by both your enthusiasm and your determination. You bring people in line with a vision and motivate them to reach goals.
- Your beliefs are aligned with the ARC mission: The Anti-Recidivism Coalition (ARC) works to end mass incarceration in California. To ensure our communities are safe, healthy, and whole, ARC empowers formerly and currently incarcerated people to thrive by providing a support network, comprehensive reentry services, and opportunities to advocate for policy change. Through our grassroots policy advocacy, we are dedicated to transforming the criminal justice system so that it is more just and equitable for all people.
- The Major Gifts Officer position is classified as full-time non-exempt employee and the salary range is $70K-$75K per year, which is paid in accordance with the Company’s bi-weekly payroll schedule.
- Eligible for Company benefits as outlined in the Employee Handbook, which are subject to change from time to time at ARC’s discretion. As such, you will be eligible to begin accruing 10 days of vacation and 6 days of sick time upon hire, plus 10 day office closure during Christmas and New Year’s. Eligible for health, dental, vision and life insurances on the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- ARC pays 75% of medical/dental/vision benefits for employees and 50% for dependents. Kaiser and Anthem are the Medical plans offered and Principal is offered for dental/vision/life insurance.
Send Resume and Cover Letter to Bikila Ochoa, Deputy Director, firstname.lastname@example.org