Director, Advancement Services
The United States Naval Academy Alumni Association and Foundation in Annapolis, MD is looking to hire the Director, Advancement Services to lead our advancement services division, which includes the gift administration, donor relations & stewardship, data, and prospect management and research teams. The Director also serves as a member of the Executive Vice President's Management Team and participates in developing the overall strategic direction of the Foundation's Development program.
This position pays a competitive salary commensurate with experience and is also eligible for an annual performance-based bonus, when applicable. You would also be eligible for a generous benefits plan which includes medical, dental, vision, an FSA, an HSA, a fully-vested 403(b) retirement plan with employer matching, 22 days of accrued paid time off (PTO) per fiscal year, 13 paid holidays per calendar year, group life insurance, short-term & long-term disability, identity theft protection, and annual opportunities for professional development. Although not guaranteed, certain additional benefits are currently offered through the Naval Academy, such as use of certain recreational facilities (including the Brigade Sports Complex gym, marina and indoor/outdoor pools), as well as category II eligibility for employee children to apply to the Naval Academy Primary School.
This position is based in historic Annapolis at our current offices located overlooking the Severn River on the beautiful grounds of the U.S. Naval Academy. In 2022, the staff of the Alumni Association and Foundation will move into new modern offices in a to-be-constructed Alumni Center, which is being built on the banks of College Creek overlooking the Naval Academy and downtown Annapolis.
ABOUT THE UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY (USNA) ALUMNI ASSOCIATION AND FOUNDATION
The United States Naval Academy Alumni Association and the United States Naval Academy Foundation are two independent, not-for-profit corporations sharing a single president and CEO and operating as a fully integrated organization in support of the Naval Academy and its mission. The organization's focus and core competencies are engagement and philanthropy in pursuit of complementary and closely aligned missions.
Our Mission: The course set by Alumni Association founders in 1886 rings true today as our mission is to serve and support the United States, the Naval Service, the Naval Academy, and academy alumni by:
- Furthering the highest standards at the Naval Academy;
- Seeking out; informing, encouraging and assisting outstanding, qualified young men and women to pursue careers as officers through the Naval Academy, and
- Initiating and sponsoring activities that will perpetuate the history, traditions, memories, and growth of the Naval Academy and bind alumni together in support of the highest ideals of command, citizenship, and the government.
Our important mission requires that we hire and retain the best of the best. In order to do that, we offer competitive pay, generous benefits, opportunities for career development, and a positive work experience.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The position is part of an experienced and passionate team, all of whom are driven to advance the mission of the Foundation & Alumni Association and the U.S. Naval Academy. She/he will report directly to the Executive Vice President and work closely with the Vice President, Development and the Senior Director, Annual Programs at the U.S. Naval Academy Foundation. Additionally, this position has a dotted -line reporting relationship with the Vice President, Finance and Investments and works closely with the entire Treasury team. She/he will also oversee a team of approximately 10, including four direct reports: a Director of Gift Administration, a Director of Donor Relations & Stewardship, an Associate Director of Research & Prospect Management, and a Director of Foundation Data & Reporting.
Due to our unique public-private partnership, the Director, Advancement Services will also serve as a strategic partner with the U.S. Naval Academy's Comptroller's Office, Superintendent's Office, and the Naval Academy Athletic Association (NAAA) to ensure that resources are aligned that help the Naval Academy, NAAA and the Naval Academy Foundation reach their mutual goals.
The Foundation is currently in the public phase of a $400+ million comprehensive campaign that is scheduled to conclude in Fall 2020. This position will play a critical role in closing the current campaign, as well as playing a key strategic role in the long-term success of the Foundation by helping to build and execute the fundraising goals for the next campaign.
EXPECTATIONS OF THE POSITION
- Provide leadership, direction, and coordination for the organization and delivery of services to the USNA Alumni Association and Foundation including gift and biographical records management, database management and reporting, gift accounting and recording, donor relations and stewardship, and research and prospect management
- Lead, hire, train, supervise, and evaluate Research & Prospect Management, Donor Relations & Stewardship, Data and Gift Administration staff
- Serve as the Foundation point person on opportunities and issues relating to the Blackbaud CRM database
- Oversee the Donor Relations & Stewardship department in execution of its objective to support the entire Enterprise with high-level donor engagement, financial and narrative reporting, donor-centric events, recognition across the Naval Academy and a comprehensive stewardship strategy for all levels of giving
- Guide the Gift Administration department in execution of its objective to enter and acknowledge gifts in a timely and accurate manner
- Working closely with the U.S. Naval Academy and the Foundation's frontline fundraising staff, manage the development of gift proposals and agreements, as well as ensuring private gift funds are utilized in a systematic fashion
- Manage a robust research and prospect tracking system for the identification, assignment, rating, qualification, solicitation and stewardship of prospects/donors in order to maintain a prospect pipeline as a solid basis for successful fundraising
- Produce regular analytical reports to Foundation senior management on fundraising performance and revenue tracking
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION
- A minimum of seven years' experience in a leadership position in advancement or development services, including extensive database work
- Shows grit, works with enthusiasm, thinks with intellect, acts with honesty and humility
- Highly organized and analytical; excels with writing and interpersonal skills
- A bachelor's degree in Liberal Arts, Computer Science, Library Science, or related field from an accredited college or university
- Highly capable in Microsoft Office products and donor software systems
- This position is based in Annapolis and not eligible for full-time telecommuting
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION
- A Master's degree in a related field
- Direct experience in higher education advancement, preferably eight to ten years
- Direct experience with Blackbaud CRM, preferably three to five years
To apply, please click on the link to our current employment opportunities and click on this position title at https://www.usna.com/employment.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.