Senior Manager, Journalism Partnerships and Advocacy
POSITION OVERVIEW: Define American seeks a new addition to our Cultural Strategies team. This team is tasked with expanding our work in the television, film, journalism, and digital spaces. The Senior Manager of Journalism Partnerships and Advocacy position will offer strategic planning, leadership, and implementation of a robust news media advocacy strategy. This position will report directly to the Chief Strategy Officer.
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
DEPARTMENT: Cultural Strategies
REPORTS TO: Chief Strategy Officer
TRAVEL: 20 – 25% (During COVID-19, no travel will be permitted by staff. All meetings will be held remotely until a suitable treatment or vaccine is developed and distributed nationwide.)
- Develop a strategic plan for the next three years of Define American’s journalism advocacy work. Consider all four pillars of this program including consulting, advocacy, research, and events.
- Build out a model for working alongside newsrooms to seed narratives about immigrants and immigration.
- Manage Define American’s online story platform and connect storytellers with journalists and newsrooms for increased accuracy and authenticity in storytelling.
- Network with members of the news media and build a strong roster of contacts that can be leveraged to expand the strategic vision of this work.
- Collaborate with other Define American departments to plan and execute an events strategy to further the work of the organization, distribute our research, and generate earned media events coverage and sponsorship.
- In collaboration with Define American’s research department, manage any and all news media research. Work closely with our Associate Director of Research and Impact to craft a vision for the future of Define American’s news media research.
- Facilitate meetings and trainings between Define American, journalists, news media executives, and other advocates.
- Represent Define American as a leader in the narrative change field publicly on panels, at presentations, press conferences, and generally in the media.
- Work with Define American’s Strategic Growth department to pursue funding opportunities to further our news media work.
- Work with colleagues to develop strategy, aiding in the growth and development of the News Media Department and broader organization and its strategic partners.
- Deep experience in the news media industry either as a journalist or news media advocate.
- A thorough understanding of how the news media industry works and how immigrant stories are pitched, written, and shared.
- A desire to increase diversity in news and incorporate storylines of immigrants that are accurate and inclusive.
- Organizational skills/proficiency in PowerPoint, Excel, and all google applications is a must.
- Previous experience speaking to media outlets is a plus.
- A self-starter who has the ability to work both as a part of a team and independently.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- 401K match
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Health and Wellness Program
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit your employment application, along with all requested documents, via our employment application portal.
NOTE: Define American goes through an incredibly intentional process for hiring new team members and will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your patience and interest in joining our family of cultural change-makers!
Define American is an equal opportunity employer and 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit.