Director of Institutional Advancement
The Director of Institutional Advancement provides visionary leadership, day-to-day management, and active execution for Kimball Union Academy’s comprehensive fundraising program.
The Director of Institutional Advancement will lead all aspects of the Academy’s fundraising programming, including annual giving, major gifts, capital campaigns and endowment initiatives, parent and alumni relations, prospect management, donor stewardship, and a variety of special events.
The Director of Institutional Advancement reports to the Head of School, supervises a staff of dedicated team members and is the Chief Advancement Officer of the Academy. Additionally, this position works closely with the admission and the marketing & communication teams and is an ex-officio member of several board committees.
Leadership in Fundraising and Stewardship
The Director works with the Head of School, Board membership and key campus leaders to enhance the culture of philanthropy throughout the entire KUA family. This individual oversees short and long term strategic planning and all advancement initiatives.
- Design, implement, and manage – in collaboration with the Head of School and Board of Trustees – a comprehensive development program to successfully raise annual, capital, and endowment funding to support the Academy’s mission and strategic goals.
- Oversee the annual fund, The Fund for KUA, in conjunction with staff and the Head of School.
- Coordinate the identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Provide leadership and direction in building programs to support prospect research, major gifts, planned giving, and stewardship.
- Engage the global Kimball Union community by traveling to cultivate and steward relationships.
- Participate in conversations about the Academy’s strategic direction.
Management and Administration
The Director manages and contributes to a series of important advancement-related processes, while managing and coordinating a team of professionals.
- Oversee the hiring, managing and evaluating of all advancement personnel.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Board of Trustees, reporting and participating in sub-committees.
- Create and manage the advancement budget in coordination with the CFO and Head of School.
- Develop and oversee the appropriate data protocols and procedures to ensure that the database and current software system is accurately and efficiently used and regularly updated.
- Assist the Head of School and Governance Committee with trustee candidate identification.
- Collaborates with and provides an advancement perspective to the Academy’s communications and marketing team.