Director of Foundation Relations
2 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Position: Director of Foundation Relations
Location: Remote – East Coast preferred
Direct Reports: Grant Writer
Reports to: Chief Strategy Officer
myAgro is an award-winning non-profit social enterprise based in West Africa. We have pioneered a mobile layaway model that enables farmers to invest their own funds in high-quality seed, fertilizer, and agricultural training to increase their harvest and income by 50-100%. myAgro’s North Star is to help 1 million farmers increase their incomes by $1.50 per day by 2025 and lift themselves out of poverty.
About This Role
myAgro currently seeks a new Director of Foundation Relations to join our development team and to lead and execute a comprehensive strategy for maintaining and increasing funding from foundation and government sources. Working closely with the Chief Strategy Officer and collaborating with other senior leaders across the organization, this role is responsible for overseeing all partnerships with new and existing foundation funders. The Director of Foundation Relations is the lead architect and strategist for foundation and government fundraising efforts, develops high-quality solicitation and grant reporting materials, and ensures that myAgro builds strong lasting relationships with all institutional funders and prospects.
This Director-level role is currently in command on the development team, will help drive the strategic direction of fundraising efforts for the organization, and will partner with the Chief Strategy Officer in leading a high-performing, energetic, and adaptive team of fundraising professionals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategy and Inspirational Effective Leadership
- In collaboration with the Chief Strategy Officer, creates, implements, and oversees an overarching foundation and government multi-year funding strategy that aligns with myAgro’s mission, future vision, and core program areas;
- Writes, edits, and finalizes high quality and compelling written materials for foundation funders, including LOIs, proposals, and grant reports;
- Oversees and implements a new prospecting research and engagement strategy with a global scope to identify and prioritize new leads for foundation and government funding sources that are aligned with myAgro’s mission;
- Expands the existing institutional funding portfolio by securing new sources of foundation and governing support; and
- Meets annual revenue targets, determined in partnership with the CEO and Chief Strategy Officer.
- Develops, oversees, and implements a multi-channel funder engagement strategy with all institutional supporters to cultivate and advance authentic and mutually rewarding relationships and communicate myAgro’s progress and organizational development;
- Oversees and manages the upkeep for a multi-year calendar of funding deadlines including LOIs, proposals, reports, and other key donor communications;
- Directly executes and manages a portfolio of institutional funders and prospects by routinely communicating by phone, mail, email and in person visits (Covid permitting); and
- Serves as a brand steward and articulates myAgro’s work for farmers to new and existing funders in a convincing and persuasive manner.
Collaboration and Supervision
- Engages ideas and input from senior leaders and relevant programmatic staff throughout the organization in creation of LOIs, proposals, progress reports, and other funder communications;
- Supervises and provides coaching and mentorship for the Grant Writer, and when appropriate, makes recommendations to the Chief Strategy Officer about the business need for potential staff additions to the team;
- Cultivates a high performing team by prioritizing collective success, team development, clear expectation setting, and regular and candid performance assessment;
- Contributes to the planning and execution of the Development team’s annual fundraising strategy and strategic plan; and,
- Works closely with the CFO, program directors, and the finance team to develop accurate and forward-thinking proposal budgets.
Desired Qualifications and Competencies:
- A deep commitment to the mission, vision, and values of myAgro;
- A minimum of seven years of professional work experience either directly in government or foundation fundraising or in a foundation and government funding capacity;
- A proven track record of successfully securing six-figure and seven-figure multi-year grants;
- A strong network of relationships with foundation and government funders;
- Previous experience with prospect research and identification strategies;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to effectively and comfortably build relationships with all levels of foundation and government agency staff members, including senior executives;
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment across multiple programs and departments;
- Excels in the areas of strategic thinking, problem solving, and attention to detail;
- Demonstrated ability for handling multiple, complex fundraising initiatives simultaneously in a fast-paced environment;
- Highly organized, reliable, and able to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines;
- Solutions-oriented, self-directed, self-aware, and self-disciplined;
- Willingness and ability to travel;
- Fluency in written and spoken English; French is a plus;
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, or veteran status. myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.