Director of Finance and Operations
4 days left
- Employment Type
- Full Time
About the International Coalition of Sites of Conscience
The International Coalition of Sites of Conscience (the Coalition) is a rapidly growing consortium of museums, historic sites, organizations and individuals dedicated to creating a more peaceful future through remembering past struggles for justice and addressing their contemporary legacies. Founded in 1999 by heritage and human rights leaders on four continents, the Coalition today is a dynamic network of more than 300 members in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, Russia, North America and in the Middle East and North Africa. Each year, more than 20 million people visit Sites of Conscience across the globe to engage in uniquely effective public programs that promote civic action by connecting history and memory with contemporary human rights, social justice and transitional justice issues.
The position of Director of Finance and Operations is based at the Coalition’s secretariat in New York City, currently working remotely until early 2021, and reports directly to the Executive Director. The Director of Finance and Operations is responsible for leadership and oversight of all the organization's financial functions, risk assessment, information technology, office operations and human resources. The Director of Finance and Operations is responsible for overseeing the full range of the Coalition’s financial management systems including cash management, financial analysis, budgeting, internal controls, audits and reports. In addition, the Director of Finance and Operations partners with the Executive Director by identifying, recommending and pursuing strategic financial and operational opportunities that keep the organization healthy. The Director of Finance and Operations also works closely with the Board Treasurer, auditors and other members of the Finance and Audit Committee as necessary. The Director of Finance and Operations is an integral member of the Coalition’s senior leadership team.
- Manage and oversee the Coalition’s fiscal well-being: develop and monitor annual budget ensuring transparency, integrity and accuracy; review cash/revenue forecasts, making timely corrections and adjustments as required; ensure that appropriate policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures are maintained
- Ensure that processes and infrastructure support the Coalition’s strategic growth; continuously improve efficiency and productivity of operations
- Enhance, disseminate, and manage cash flow, financial budgeting and forecasting and compliance processes to ensure alignment with and achievement of organizational strategies and priorities as well as meet donor expectations
- Manage preparation and presentation of timely and accurate financial reporting materials for internal and external stakeholders; serve as the Coalition’s spokesperson for fiscal matters; support and guide relevant Coalition staff in understanding and managing budgetary matters
- Oversee and direct human resource needs including all aspects of payroll, time tracking, analysis and evaluation of hiring practices, staff review tracking, professional development, position descriptions, and management of employee benefit programs
- Oversee completion of audits and filing of tax returns, ensuring adherence to government-related policies and procedures; resolve any areas of concern that are raised
- Keep current with fiscal, human resources, and other organizational best practices; track and ensure compliance with appropriate guidelines set by “charity watchdog” groups and other standard-bearers
- Collaborate with legal counsel to manage the organization’s legal and compliance needs, and proactively identify and resolve potential legal issues
- Collaborate with senior leadership team to help set strategic goals and objectives for the growth and expansion of the organization
- Identify new opportunities for enhanced earned income and develop and implement plans to maximize those opportunities
- Oversee and support a team of three department staff members; hire, manage and retain finance and operations staff as needed
- Develop and oversee implementation of technical and IT (data management) strategy for the organization, taking into consideration evolving needs as operations expand; hire and manage consultants to implement a data management plan to meet IT needs
- Oversee management of the organization’s physical infrastructure and maintenance (phone system, security, supplies, etc.)
- A minimum of eight years’ experience, at least five at the director level, in finance and operations with international nonprofit organization(s) with budgets over $5 million
- Proven success with human resource management, ideally with an organization with remote and/or international teams
- Proven success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
- Expertise in financial analysis and activity, accounting, budget development, fiscal control and reporting, project and grant management, and internal controls
- Proven experience managing all financial components of multi-faceted government grants, including directing implementation of fiscal processes and controls for complex, multi-year, 8+ figure Federal awards
- Experience with development of business plans for new programs or initiatives, or the reengineering of existing programs or initiatives
- Ability to take initiative and to manage multiple tasks and projects
- BA or BS degree in accounting, business or related field required; CPA, MBA is highly desirable
- A high level of personal and professional integrity, excellent written and oral communication skills, strategic thinking, leadership and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to travel internationally, once travel resumes, and take on other tasks as needed
How to Apply
This position offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits and will be remote, like all of the Coalition’s work, for at least the coming months.
Interested candidates please send a cover letter indicating salary requirements along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Director of Finance and Operations.” Applications will be accepted and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis; early applicants, therefore, have an advantage.
Please note that because of the volume of submissions the Coalition receives for position postings, only those candidates who will be invited to move forward in the search process will be contacted.
The International Coalition of Sites of Conscience is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. We are committed to achieving a diverse workforce and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Apply for Director of Finance and Operations
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly