Backcountry Hunters & Anglers (BHA) is a North American nonprofit organization with chapters throughout Canada and the United States. BHA seeks to ensure North America’s outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.
Now, more than ever before, we need wild lands: places that offer solitude and challenge to rekindle the fire at the heart of the human soul. BHA is a nonpartisan group of sportsmen and women who are standing up for these places and for the outdoor access opportunities they represent. We are North America’s leading sportsmen’s conservation organization dedicated to our public lands legacy and the waters, wildlife and traditions they sustain.
BHA seeks a controller who will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. The controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations of the organization including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and grants administration. The controller will ensure that BHA has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The controller will work with chapter leaders and staff not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations. In addition, the controller will work with senior leadership and human resources and information technology staff to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions.
The ideal candidate must be able to work with little supervision and be flexible and organized in a fast-paced work environment. This position requires the ability to exercise good judgment, make responsible decisions, analyze problems, evaluate strategies, accurately document activities, prepare timely and complete reports, adhere to standards of confidentiality, and communicate effectively. The successful candidate will adhere to BHA’s mission and philosophy.
The controller will engage in the following:
- oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems to ensure compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements;
- maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, program budgets and actual expenditures;
- coordinate all audit activity;
- consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner, clearly communicate monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, monitor progress and changes and update the director of operations and CEO on BHA’s financial status;
- oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting, ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period and collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate and foundation grants;
- manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with senior staff and CEO;
- manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines;
- leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals;
- work with BHA chapters to enhance financial reporting, documentation and best practices;
- complete monthly reconciliations, including accounts receivables, accounts payable, prepaid expenses, Andar/MIP entries and other G/L accounts as required;
- monitor billings and receipts for special events and other revenue relating to sponsorships and reconcile event results;
- lead the year-end close activities and create the audit preparation plan, including preparing audit schedules and serving as primary contact with auditors during audit fieldwork;
- monitor budget categories, spending rates and time restrictions to ensure all grants are on track to meet budgeted spending requirements;
- proactively communicate with program staff and others when grant expenses are not on track to meet budget requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting; CPA certification. Masters of Business Administration with focus in accounting or finance preferred.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, fund accounting, auditing, fiscal management, automated accounting systems and data processing inter relationships.
- Proven ability to effectively apply accounting and auditing techniques and procedures in the work performed; to prepare clear, complete and concise reports; to work on concurrent assignments and to meet deadlines; to communicate effectively orally and in writing and to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Strong work ethic, commitment to accuracy and a team player.
- Experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll and accounting for investments.
- Experience with grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants is essential.
- Demonstrated success in communicating effectively orally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners.
- Must be a highly energetic professional with a strong track record of leadership, relationship building, and program development and implementation experience.
- Must be innovative and a creative thinker with a proven success of following through with ideas.
- Preferably Must be a hunter and/or angler with a willingness to work flexible hours.
- Must conduct work with integrity, good humor and a focus on developing partnerships, building trust and strengthening professional relationships.
Must be able to lift 25 pounds and have a valid driver’s license.
Please attach your cover letter and resume as one pdf document. The application cover letter should outline both your interest in and qualifications for this position.
Apply for Controller
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly