Senior Grant Writer
Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) is looking for a senior development writer to be part of a diverse and committed development team. PHR, which shared in the Nobel Peace Prize in 1997, is a U.S.-based nonprofit working at the intersection of medicine, science, and law to end human suffering, save lives, and secure justice and universal human rights for all. With a global network of thousands of medical, legal, and scientific experts, PHR uses the power of forensic expertise to document human rights and humanitarian law violations and prevent abuses, protect survivors, and promote justice.
Building upon its highly respected place in the field and supported by a committed and talented staff, PHR seeks a senior development writer to be part of a diverse and committed institutional development team. S/he/they will prepare persuasive written fundraising and institutional development materials for a range of donors, including foundations, governments, corporations, individual major donors, and other prospects. S/he/they will be expected to write in a variety of styles, ranging from narrative storytelling to highly technical writing, and be flexible and able to turn with ease from one kind of writing assignment to another. This position reports to the director of institutional development in New York City.Responsibilities
- Partner with program departments to develop grant proposals and reports, cover letters, donor communications, and related materials as needed to support fundraising strategies and donor solicitations.
- Collaborate with development colleagues to prepare concise and compelling talking points and briefs to support donor solicitations.
- Learn and maintain a deep working knowledge and understanding of PHR and its mission, values, strategic goals, and programs to develop persuasive, outcome-driven proposals and compelling donor materials.
- Proactively gather information related to multiple varied and complex programs and convey this information in a succinct and compelling way, tailored to different audiences.
- Ensure materials are professionally formatted, visually compelling, and adhere to PHR brand guidelines.
- Coach and mentor grant writing staff in the development department.
- Edit and proofread drafts of proposals, reports, presentations, and other materials as requested.
- Assist the director of institutional development with activities related to organizational grants, writing tasks, and institutional funder stewardship.
- At least ten (10) years of experience in grant writing, journalism, or programmatic research/writing, preferably for advocacy or mission-driven organizations.
- Demonstrated track record of success in securing grants from foundations, governments, corporate funders, and/or private individuals; familiarity with government grants a significant plus.
- A deep commitment to advancing human rights and the communities affected by social injustice and human rights abuses.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- Comfort with Microsoft Word and Google Suites tools.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a challenging, fast-paced, and diverse environment with numerous priorities and emerging opportunities; ability to work well under deadline pressure is essential.
- Committed to working effectively with people with different backgrounds, life experiences, and communication styles.
- Highly detail-oriented and organized, with superior research and editing skills.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles relative to foundations, governments, and other institutional funders.
- Ability to think creatively, take initiative, and follow through.
This is a full-time position located in New York City. PHR offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and generous vacation.How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Senior Development Writer” in the subject line.
Physicians for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit and hire without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, prior conviction, arrest history, disability, marital status, veteran status, or age.
Apply for Senior Grant Writer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly