Senior Director, Philanthropy
Senior Director Philanthropy, World Food Program USA
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Senior
Director of Philanthropy will play a central role in developing and
implementing a strategic plan to identify, cultivate, solicit, and
steward individual donors at the middle and major gift levels.
Reporting to WFP USA’s Chief Development Officer, s/he will lead an
individual giving staff to meet team goals, will personally manage
a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects and will guide our
individual philanthropy program, creating exciting, engaging,
and thoughtful opportunities for funding and engagement. The
Senior Director’s work will be critical to the development of new
sources of revenue to sustain and expand WFP USA’s global
- Build relationships with major donors to garner support for the mission of the World Food Program USA
- Align opportunities with funding needs set forth by WFP USA leadership
- Meet and exceed major donor giving goals
- Develop unique engagement opportunities, proposals, and events to upgrade, retain and attract new major donor partners
- Effectively manage, develop and mentor individual development staff
- Lead initiatives to identify and secure new major and planned giving donors
- Enlist Senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors where appropriate
- Participate in and contribute to Development leadership team
Relationship Management & Solicitation
- Manage relationships with a portfolio of current and prospective donors through all phases of the donor pipeline, including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Identify gift opportunities that closely align with major donors’ interests and design personalized solicitation and stewardship strategies to increase the number of donations and gift levels
- Develop deep background in the programmatic mission of WFP USA
- Work with individual giving staff to establish short-and long-term annual revenue goals for mid-level, major, and planned giving
- Develop and implement individual giving strategies that leverage all of WFP USA’s resources and regularly monitor their performance to meet and exceed targets
- Promote a culture of philanthropy within WFP USA to effectively position the organization as a charitable recipient of choice
Donor Program Development
- Oversee the development of donor-centric cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship programs for individuals, including mid-level and major gifts, and planned giving
- Work with the Communications and Development teams to ensure that print and online marketing collateral—including newsletters, website, social media, and annual reports—promote giving and recognize donors for their support
- Oversee and implement a comprehensive donor stewardship program, including meetings, phone calls, letters, email, and events, ensuring that all donors receive personalized communications and all gifts receive prompt and appropriate acknowledgment
- Conduct regular reviews of the individual giving program and develop timely and evolving strategies for acquiring, renewing, and upgrading donors at all giving levels
- Create written solicitations, correspondence, acknowledgments, and stewardship reports
The successful Senior Director of Philanthropy will be a strong leader who combines strategic thinking, energetic relationship-building, and an aptitude for guiding others in the development and implementation of strong fundraising practices. S/he will be adept at building relationships both externally and internally, with donors and volunteers as well as with colleagues on the Finance, Operations, Communications, and Development teams within a large, complex organization. The Senior Director will be passionate about applying all of these skills to WFP USA’s mission, and will be completely comfortable working proactively and energetically with a diverse group of people to advance it.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in non-profit development
- At least 5 years in a role with staff management responsibilities in fundraising
- Prior experience working with and closing gifts from high net worth donors or equivalent experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree or higher desirable
Knowledge and Experience
- Proven ability to provide strategic direction and daily oversight for a fundraising program while effectively managing a personal portfolio of donors.
- Consistent record of securing 6-figure major gifts; experience securing both major and planned gifts is preferred.
- History of strategic and creative thinking that has demonstrably increased a donor base and revenue.
- Experience successfully managing a staff of mid-level and/or major donor fundraisers to measurably increase performance levels.
- Experience effectively engaging and leveraging leaders, Board members, and senior staff in the fundraising process.
- Understanding of best practices in comprehensive and integrated individual giving programs.
- Familiarity with systems and processes required for major donor portfolio management, from prospect research techniques to best practices for donor acknowledgement and stewardship.
- Experience using fundraising and prospect software/tools to build an individual major giving program. Salesforce preferred.
- Ability to manage confidential information and observe donor privacy protocols.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- CFRE Preferred
- Collaborative and team-oriented individual who can engage and motivate others in a wide variety of functions across an organization.
- Articulate and polished in interactions with high-level individuals and groups.
- Excellent speaker, listener, and writer.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally to cultivate and solicit major donors.
- Strong affinity for WFP USA’s mission and program priorities.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or agencies, please.
World Food Program USA is a non-profit organization that builds support in the United States to end global hunger. WFP USA engages individuals and organizations, shapes public policy and generates resources for the United Nations World Food Program and other hunger relief operations.
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive salary and outstanding benefits. WFP USA is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for Senior Director, Philanthropy
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly