Director of Communications and Marketing - Office of Development
The Director of Communications and Marketing is a key leadership
role in the Office of Development (OD). Reporting to the Chief
Development Officer (CDO), the Director is responsible for
developing and executing a comprehensive communications and
marketing strategy for OD and is responsible for the highest
quality written materials and content for the department.
The Director of Communications and Marketing will ensure programming for digital campaigns, recurring donations, retention strategies, and other print and digital fundraising initiatives align with overall institutional goals and engages new and existing donors to increase revenue. Responsible for analyzing appeal and digital fundraising trends, as well as identifying opportunities to engage donors in effective and innovative direct fundraising strategies. Responsible for all OD and donor communications and marketing materials ensuring the highest quality written content and strategies are in place to deliver stewardship, donor events, impact reports, and donor stories that are powerful and engaging.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in managing successful communications and marketing programs for complex organizations, leveraging thought leadership and expert knowledge to build engagement and reputation.
- Strong capabilities to plan, organize, and execute communications and marketing strategies.
- Must be an exceptionally strong writer and an excellent editor, attentive to message and style standards.
- Ability to solve intellectual problems of substantial variety and complexity using originality and ingenuity.
- Ability to operate using substantial latitude for independent judgment and action.
- Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness.
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment and to form and maintain effective teams within OD, OCCO, and the broader National Academies.
- Excellent written and oral skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
- Expertise in current communications methods and trends, data analysis of audiences and communications efforts.
- Experience in the use of electronic resources and software systems pertinent to e-mail-related newsletters and web-based conference systems.
- Experience in a communications agency, think tank, or with content marketing programs valued.
- Experience in non-profit or political fundraising
- Familiarity with fundraising databases, particularly Raiser’s Edge (RE)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and experience with Adobe Creative Suite and/or Canva.
Minimum Experience: Eight years of related professional experience, four of which were in a supervisory capacity.