Director of Advancement Services
Montclair Kimberley Academy seeks an experienced, highly-motivated, Director of Advancement Services to provide strategic leadership to the overall information/data needs of the Development and Alumni Office to increase and maintain a community of alumni, parents, grandparents, parents of alumni and friends, and support a growing front-line engagement and fundraising operation. They will be responsible for developing and executing forward-thinking, data-driven strategies and serve as team leader and thought partner as the team prepares for their next major campaign.
MKA’s next Director of Advancement will be an experienced database specialist and an entrepreneurial, energetic, goal-oriented leader. They will have demonstrated experience in the following:
- Prospect identification, research, and management
- developing policies and procedures and training staff
- gift processing and acknowledgement
- donor relations and stewardship
They will be proficient in Blackbaud products and possess knowledge integrating accompanying systems such as Finalsite and EverTrue. They will be a strong communicator—both written and oral with a depth of experience training team members in data systems. S/he will be a methodical and detail-oriented individual with excellent time-management skills who can advance multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Supervise, mentor and elevate the work of the Database Coordinator.
- Manage the development and alumni information system, Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT, and its integration with ancillary systems, and ensure the proper servicing and maintenance of all software that serves the department.
- In collaboration with the Director of Development, develop and maintain protocol for prospect management. Create mechanisms for Development staff to track and manage all donor interactions. Produce weekly moves management reports and monitor overall departmental progress monthly towards portfolio visit and financial goals.
- Conduct ongoing prospect research and create prospect briefs and supporting materials for solicitations, events, and stewardship activities.
- Lead donor recognition and stewardship initiatives, including impact reports, stewardship letters and annual correspondence connected to awards, scholarships, and funding priorities. Develop and implement strategies for continued engagement of donors.
- Oversee the database policies and procedures and ensure ongoing training of colleagues in using the systems efficiently and effectively. Create methodologies and scheduled maintenance to ensure data integrity. Conduct ongoing training with Development team members for their specific areas of use and oversee the adherence to policies and procedures that maintain the integrity of the data and systems.
- Oversee all gift entry, gift processing, acknowledgement, and pledge reminder systems for the department. Produce correspondence that is accurate and timely and in accordance with IRS regulations.
- Provide a wide array of complex analytical reports in support of development related activities. Coordinate all departmental data requests, including donor analysis, direct mail lists, volunteer assignments, and financial reporting.
- Oversee the reconciliation of fundraising revenue with the Business Office and auditors.
- Produce regular fundraising reports showing the department’s financial progress to goals, and manage and execute all routine data reporting for annual benchmarking purposes (CASE, NAIS, VSE, etc.).
- Oversee the production of all listings for the Annual Report.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the Technology Department and the Development Office and ensure ongoing communication and smooth interface between Raiser’s Edge and other school data systems.
- Serve as a senior organizational leader of MKA’s fundraising effort, demonstrating high personal and professional integrity and promoting open, positive, collaboration across all MKA departments.
- Work collaboratively within the Development Office to ensure seamless identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors and prospects. Promote a strong culture of philanthropy across departments.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required,
- A minimum of four years of related advancement services experience in non-profits and familiarity with Blackbaud products;
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, to work effectively with senior management, Trustees, prospective donors, volunteers, and staff.
- Knowledge of independent school culture.
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Laela Perkins, Director of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Montclair Kimberley Academy
Montclair Kimberley Academy (MKA), an innovative, Pre-K–12, independent day school with a strong national reputation, a recognized 1:1 laptop program, and a deep commitment to the professional growth of its faculty and staff. As guided by its Strategic Plan, MKA is committed to promoting multicultural education, grounded in ideas of equity, anti-bias education, anti-racism, and social justice. We see multicultural education as a process of inquiry, reflection and engagement that honors students’ narratives, provides a safe environment in which to explore and discuss multiple perspectives, and helps transform students and faculty, school culture and curriculum, community and society, and we seek candidates who share our commitment to this process.
It is MKA’s policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons regardless of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or disability not related to the requirements for being a successful employee at MKA.
Apply for Director of Advancement Services
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly