Development Director, Human Services
SCI, a leader in mariner advocacy services since 1834, seeks a Development Director who is a visionary philanthropy professional to join our team and lead all aspects of the Institute’s contributed revenue programs. The Development Director enjoys being a team player and liaises with SCI board and staff leaders regarding the Institute’s funding priorities, contributes as a core member of SCI’s senior management team, supervises a small staff and outsourced special-events team, and reports to SCI’s President & Executive Director.
In particular, the Development Director:
• Oversees SCI’s efforts to build financial resources via major gifts from individuals and their foundations, foundation grants, corporate support, special events, an annual fund, capital campaigns, and planned giving including bequests;
• Assumes responsibility for establishing a culture of philanthropy at SCI;
• Intentionally, evaluates, designs and implements a comprehensive development unit capable of growing SCI’s contributed revenue from $1 million to $3 million annually, over a three-year period (exclusive of special events-related net revenue of $1 million to $1.5 million annually);
• Leads SCI’s major-gifts effort in partnership with the President & Executive Director, SCI’s Board Development Committee, and others;
• Plans all SCI philanthropic initiatives and coordinates the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors with SCI’s President & Executive Director and SCI’s Board Development Chair;
• Liaises with Emerson Events + Marketing to ensure highest-level effectiveness of a series of special events annually;
• Works with SCI’s Communications Director to promote the Institute’s branding and philanthropic message via social media, website, annual report, and brochures;
• Directs SCI’s Christmas at Sea outreach ministry, securing annual and legacy gifts from its more than 1000 volunteers;
• Creates timely and clear reports on major gifts solicitations and all gift categories for SCI’s President & Executive Director and Board Development Committee;
• Oversees administration of all donor records and gift acknowledgements, working with SCI’s Director of Finance & Operations to ensure excellent financial reporting and internal controls;
• Adheres to established protocols such as SCI’s gift acceptance policy, Donor Bill of Rights, and all ethical standards and ethical practices promulgated by the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP).
Successful candidates are college graduates, with outstanding oral, written, motivational and organizational prowess. The candidate must thrive in a high-energy, mobile, nonprofit environment, manage multiple projects, and deliver high-quality work with multiple staff, board, and donor stakeholders. The candidate will respect the religious values and cross-cultural realities that drive maritime ministry while exhibiting the agility and emotional intelligence that contributes to a healthy work culture.
• 5+ years development experience with at least 3 years in a leadership role
• A track record of success working with major donors on significant outright and planned gifts
• Experience building/strengthening an annual fund campaign
• Familiarity with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge fundraising and data management software
This full-time position works from SCI’s New York City headquarters (post COVID) with frequent visits to its Port Newark facility and occasional travel to SCI’s Paducah KY and Houston TX sites and donor prospect locations worldwide.
Apply for Development Director, Human Services
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly