Site Reliability Engineer
About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is a global
non-profit organization that works to protect the Internet as a
place of opportunity. We connect and empower communities to ensure
the Internet remains trustworthy—open, globally connected, secure,
and a resource for good in the world. We believe the Internet is
for everyone. But it’s more than just a privilege; it’s our
responsibility to improve it.
We mobilize technologist, end users, potential users, policymakers, government agencies and institutional and corporate partners to defend and promote the collaborative inter-networking, technical standards, and protocols that grow and strengthen the Internet.
If you believe in the power and possibility of the Internet, be part of our mission.
Location: Open to Asia-Pacific
About the Position
Reporting to the Resource Director, the Site Reliability Engineer is part of the Internet Society’s Subject Matter Expert Team focusing on project work to advance ISOC’s goals and mission.
The successful applicant will contribute to projects that measure and analyze specific aspects of global Internet usage, protocol adoption, and routing security and will do so by developing and supporting the infrastructure of the internal and externally facing tools used by these projects.
This is a 2 year employment term.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintains and administers core project infrastructure, including Unix/Linux systems, Web servers, databases, and applications, including software upgrades, security patching, and performance optimization.
- Participates in architecture and software development activities.
- Translates loosely defined requirements into solutions.
- Uses open source technologies and tools to address project requirements.
- Writes programs or scripts to enable custom workflows.
- Collaborates with other project members to brainstorm about the best way to tackle a complex technological infrastructure, security, or development problem.
- Performs incremental testing on code, processes, and deployments to identify ways to streamline execution and minimize errors.
- Documents all work
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Qualifications and Expertise
- BS in Computer Science, IT, IS, or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in a SRE or related role
- Operational experience in setting up containers.
- Full Stack Wordpress administration experience.
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible.
- Database setup/administration experience - (e.g. SQL, SQLite, Mongodb etc).
- Knowledge of Web programming technologies and automation by scripting languages (Python, Perl, Ruby, Bash etc).
- Experience with version control software (Git) and deploying development CI/CD technology such as TravisCI, Jenkins, AWS.
- Source Code Management experience with tools like, Github.
- Work with monitoring and management tools such as, Prometheus, Telegraf, Grafana.
- Network Operations and System Engineering experience.
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills.
- Excellent communicator and collaborator.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to convey information clearly, simply; produce reports, presentations, analysis.
- Experience working with a Globally distributed workforce and ability to work across time zones
- Commitment to the Internet Society’s mission, values and objectives.
- Ability to travel as needed
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications. Applications will be evaluated until the position has been filled. The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will be reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee.