Director of Development, MIRA
Director of Development
The mission of the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition (MIRA) is to
advance the rights and integration of immigrants and refugees in Massachusetts and beyond. We
work to build a Commonwealth where immigrants and refugees feel welcome and empowered to
fully participate in economic, social, and civic life, free from fear and discrimination. We work to protect and support the most vulnerable, especially those at risk of deportation, but also strive to expand opportunities for all via education, training, leadership development, institutional organizing, strategic communications, policy analysis, and advocacy. MIRA is a coalition of over 130 member organizations that works across the region, contributes to many national initiatives and is esteemed as a leading voice for immigration issues and immigrant advancement.
MIRA seeks an experienced Director of Development who is creative and goal oriented, with a background in grants and major gifts. The DD is strategic thinker advancing advocacy for all foreign born by leading the resource development of this growing agency that works across many programs and policy areas. This professional works closely with the CEO as a member of the diverse senior team which encompasses legislative and policy work, citizenship, organizing, legal assistance, integration, communications and administration. The DD advances MIRA by executing a comprehensive development plan, working with a small department , a board committee and the CEO to build assets. S/he provides strategy, develops creative materials, oversees donor services, and executes annual events and campaigns.
The Director will be knowledgeable of philanthropy, successful in foundation grantsmanship, effective in solicitation, capable in implementing a systems approach, personable in major donor relations, and driven to expand the support needed for the mission of MIRA.
- Develop and implement a strategic fundraising plan
- Oversee all aspects of fundraising
- Implement systems for development data and processes
- Maintain a calendar of all solicitations (grant and individual) and reporting deadlines
- Responsible for grant management
- Procure government funding and contracts
- Manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors
- Hire, train and manage the development staff (currently two other positions)
- Reporting to CEO, CFO and Board Committee
- Work with the Communications Director on brand building and message effectiveness
- Plan and execute annual events for donors and diverse stakeholders
- Engage key constituents in the support of MIRA - immigrants, agencies, individuals, businesses and grantmakers
- Personally engage in major gift solicitation and create opportunities and follow up for the CEO
- Deep commitment to MIRA’s vision and mission, embracing the focus on rights, and social justice
- Proven ability to create and build infrastructure to leverage fundraising success
- Minimum of 5 years of development experience, with a broad knowledge of the various aspects of philanthropy and small shop operations
- Success in achieving measured goals
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Track record of innovation and strategic work
- Demonstrated ability to be self-sufficient and to work in teams
- Knowledge of Blackbaud or similar software (being implemented)
- Demonstrated leadership in staff relations
Please submit your resume with email, phone and mail address and a cover letter about your background and reason for seeking this opportunity to our consultant, Westy Egmont, firstname.lastname@example.org by November 6, 2020.
MIRA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and seeks a broad representation of the communities served within its staff.