Executive Director, The CIty
THE CITY, an award-winning, independent nonprofit newsroom dedicated to serving the people of New York through hard-hitting reporting, is seeking a creative and dedicated leader as its new Executive Director to broaden support for and advance THE CITY’s mission and ensure its long-term viability. Launched in 2019 with a diverse team of award-winning journalists, THE CITY has already demonstrated impact through its stories and reporting, whether shining a light on social justice issues, covering the pandemic, or holding public officials to account. Reliable, independent, comprehensive, and factual reporting has never been more important for New Yorkers and THE CITY will be at the forefront of New York’s recovery and transformation.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the new Executive Director will direct the organization’s overall business strategy and development; administration, operations, legal, and finances for its $4.5 million budget; marketing and communications; management of the business and operations team as well as support of the editorial staff; and revenue and fundraising. The Executive Director, working with THE CITY’s Editor-in-Chief on everything from workplace culture to budget to ensure alignment with the goals of the newsroom, must be someone who is a fervent advocate for New York City; knowledgeable about digital media; an effective and accomplished fundraiser; as well as understand the role that journalism plays in democracy and how knowledge can effect change. They also must be passionate about diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as social justice causes. They need to have gravitas, be greatly respected in the community, be able to respond quickly to changing conditions, and overall, be a cheerleader for THE CITY with the Board, staff, stakeholders, and the public.
The Executive Director will have excellent management and communications skills and work effectively within the New York City community. They must also be able to navigate a dynamic and engaged board of directors, build relationships and networks, and demonstrate leadership across all levels. The individual must be able to represent THE CITY with funders in public settings, with foundations, with private donors, and with other stakeholders.
The Executive Director must be able to work closely with the THE CITY’s Editor-in-Chief, Board and 24 staff in a supportive and direct manner with a minimum of ego. They must have the ability to promote an open, inclusive work environment that emphasizes cooperation, and teamwork. Candidates should demonstrate a significant and diversified track record of accomplishment. In addition, they should be diplomatic, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment, a good sense of humor as well as high emotional intelligence.
• Oversee and manage the business operations of a growing media entity, ensuring financial viability of THE CITY by developing organizational priorities needed to achieve sustainability; sets appropriate short- and long-term revenue targets, putting steps in place to ensure those goals are achieved
• Direct fundraising operations; solicit individual and major gifts and grants; develop institutional partnerships to advance the mission; develop new and strengthen existing relationships
• Work collaboratively with THE CITY’s Editor-in-Chief to ensure alignment with the goals of the newsroom
• Be the chief spokesperson and public face of the organization, raising the organization’s visibility and impact in New York
• Ensure that all appropriate structures are in place for effective administration of business operations
• Ensures an atmosphere in the newsroom and throughout the organization that supports common values, in particular with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline required; advanced degree preferred
• At least 7 years of senior management experience, including budgetary responsibility, for a multi-faceted and diverse organization
• Experience in journalism/media preferred
• Nonprofit experience preferred, particularly as it relates to fundraising strategies and donor relations
• A track record creating and executing a communications strategy that includes experience in digital marketing, audience growth and membership development
• Experience working collaboratively with and reporting to a Board of Directors
• A passion for empowering others and sharing success
• An ability to draw on experience to drive growth in an organization
• Excellent writing, analytical and organizational skills with proven ability to focus, prioritize and implement
• Passion for the mission of the organization
Salary will be commensurate with experience. For more information about THE CITY, please visit their website at www.thecity.nyc
THE CITY is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply. It offers equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
THE CITY has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications (cover letter that articulates mission and interest, and resume) may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner and CEO Anne McCarthy, Chief Operating Officer Harris Rand Lusk 122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605 New York, NY 10168
Send application to email@example.com Please put “THE CITY Executive Director” in the subject line of your emailed application.