Business Development Manager
Acumen is looking for a Business Development Manager with at least 7 years of experience to join our San Francisco office. We're looking for someone with a strong sales record, who thrives on raising funds and building community. The right candidate is bold, has an unwavering commitment to tackling global poverty, and can excel in a fast-paced, complex environment.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders, and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services help people living in poverty to transform their lives. To date, Acumen has positively impacted 300 million lives by investing $132M in 136 innovative, early-stage companies in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. But investment isn’t just about capital, we’ve been investing in relationships for years, connecting with emerging leaders in their own countries and engaging them in extended collective dialogue, moral inquiry, and skill building.
About Business Development
We are a small and mighty team where everyone rolls up their sleeves together to get the job done. We sit at the nexus of philanthropy and capitalism. The successful candidate will walk in both worlds with equal agility and be a results driven performer. Given our entrepreneurial culture, the candidate must be a self-starter, is curious and analytical, and comfortable managing both up and across teams.
About the Role:
This role will manage fundraising activities and relationships for a core group of donors in the West Coast community. Your focus will be cultivating and closing your own relationships with individuals, corporations, and foundations while managing an existing portfolio of donors. You will bring new partners (donors) into our community through your own direct contacts and networking and are comfortable working toward a $500K - $750K personal fundraising goal. The role requires a passion for tackling global poverty and dedication to developing the social investing sector. Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Identify, cultivate and close funding 5-6 figure gifts while enhancing Acumen’s visibility, access, and influence
- Build a broad network of individual, corporate, and institutional donors through appropriate channels including events, individual networking, and targeted outreach
- Maintain existing partner base across the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, and Seattle; we have a committed community of partners and this is a chance to strengthen and deepen this base
- Build strategic relationships with key advisors and connectors, and develop multi-year engagement plans
- Collaborate with the communications team to create marketing materials that attract new audiences and communicate our impact with our partner community
Community Management & Events
- Collaborate with Head of West Coast BD on determining the vision and execution of events to build out and engage the West Coast community
- Identify creative ways to cultivate and enhance Acumen’s presence across the West Coast community
- Manage the execution and logistics of West Coast events - securing and coordinating with venue, catering, and other vendors (in collaboration with team)
Qualifications and skills:
- At least 7 years of work experience in philanthropic business development and/or relationship management
- A track record of building and maintaining strategic funding relationships
- Track record of relationship-building and strong networking skills. Relationships within the philanthropy and impact investing ecosystem are a plus.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in building collaborative relationships with both external and internal stakeholders
- Effective storyteller who consistently communicates (oral, written) in a compelling manner
- A willingness to take risks and ability to address complex issues creatively and effectively
- Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
- Self reflective and aligned with Acumen values
- Permanent authorization to work in the US