Dignity and Power Now (DPN) is a grassroots organization based in Los Angeles that fights for the dignity and power of incarcerated people, their families, and communities. In doing so, DPN wages a fight for everyone because the prison industrial complex forms an imaginative limit on everyone’s capacity to envision freedom and liberation.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the executive assistant is responsible for assisting the ED on multiple organizational levels, including scheduling, coordinating and organizing. The executive assistant role requires an individual who understands and is passionate about the mission and vision of the organization and exemplifies DPN core value. The executive assistant will have the primary responsibility to act as the ED’s gatekeeper and escalate relevant information to the ED as needed. The successful candidate will help to maintain communication across teams and perform all duties and tasks as assigned/requested.
- Prepare reports, memos, invoices, letters, financial statements and other documents.
Handle basic bookkeeping tasks.
- Retrieve and file corporate records, documents, and reports.
- Research and conduct data to prepare documents for review and presentation to boards of directors, committees, and/or donors.
- Route all appropriate correspondence to the right person
- Respond to emails, and other correspondence.
- Help prepare the ED for meetings.
- Accurately record minutes from meetings.
- Act as liaison between staff and ED
- Use various software, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentation software.
- Read and analyze incoming memos, submissions, and distribute them as needed.
- Make travel arrangements for ED.
- Assist the ED with various program coordination and logistics as needed
- Perform office duties that include ordering supplies and managing a records database.
- Provide general administrative support.
- Perform all other duties as required
- 5-plus years in administrative assisting with demonstrated success in executive assistant function to an Executive position.
- Professional level verbal and written communication skills
- Experience as a virtual assistant.
- Proven experience as an executive assistant, personal assistant or other relevant administrative support experience.
- In-depth understanding of entire MS Office suite.
- Ability to organize a daily workload by priorities.
- Must be able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced quickly changing environment.
- A proactive approach to problem-solving with strong decision-making skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Strength of character, ethics, and commitment, and reliability
- Trust worthy with confidential and personal information
- Bachelor’s degree in a business administration or relevant field
- Certification such as IAAP Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) or completed coursework on administrative software is a plus
‘Dignity and Power Now’ is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We welcome all qualified applicants, including formerly incarcerated individuals. We are proud to comply with Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (LA Ord. 184652)