Individual Giving Associate
KCRW is a nonprofit, multi-platform, public media producer and presenter that informs and enriches the lives of listeners in Southern California and around the world. A community service of Santa Monica College and a flagship NPR affiliate for more than 30 years, KCRW 89.9 FM features an eclectic mix of news, music, and cultural programming that engage audiences in ongoing dialogue and advance cultural conversation.
KCRW extends the station’s profile globally through digital content at KCRW.com. The station reaches over 2 million people each month through its terrestrial broadcast signal, digital media platforms, and live community events. KCRW’s terrestrial radio signal reaches over 500,000 listeners in Southern California throughout the Greater Los Angeles region and vast portions of Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Mojave, Ojai, and San Diego (a service area with a population reach of nearly 12 million people).
Under the leadership of President Jennifer Ferro and the 28-member Board of the KCRW Foundation, the station is in a period of transformation building its 50,000-donor base of annual giving and “growing” its current $20 million annual operation, while also transitioning for expansion in a new facility.
The Individual Giving Associate at KCRW is responsible for building donor relationships, including solicitation and stewardship, sustaining and increasing current donor gifts, and securing new unrestricted annual gifts. This position reports directly to the Manager of Donor Relations and has frequent communication with the Head of Development. The Individual Giving Associate will support in coordinating the logistics associated with donor engagement and events. This role will be responsible for database management of Major Donors and Board Gifts to ultimately fulfill the donor experience, from acquisition of new donors to stewardship.
To be successful in this role, you must be able to work collaboratively with a fast-paced team and dynamic organization and have a keen interest and professional background in fundraising. This position has significant focus on donor cultivation and stewardship logistics as well as data management in Salesforce; both require proven organizational skills and the ability to manage complex projects. This is an excellent growth opportunity for a fundraising professional to work within a team environment toward collective goals while fulfilling a primary role in the organization's individual giving strategy.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaboratively oversee the Major Donor Group, including solicitation, cultivation, upgrades, and stewardship activities for annual and capital campaign contributions. The Major Donor group has a portfolio of 700+ donors with gifts above $1,200 and above.
- Support the Development team with the Spring, Fall and Holiday Fundraising drives. This position will support in creating a solicitation schedule, update payment forms, design fundraising drive material, and organize donor lists.
- Create and implement strategies for the identification and solicitation of prospects and donors, through effective communication plans.
- Develop creative stewardship programs to address donor engagement. Assist in donor recognition and cultivation activities including creating and sending invitations, managing RSVPs, coordinating virtual and venue details, as well as guest outreach and follow up. Send monthly sustainer anniversary emails to Major Donors.
- Process Gifts through KCRW’s database, SalesForce. Maintain current data on all donors, and create a substantial number of reports for the Development department. Create bi-weekly acknowledgement letters for each processed gift.
- Oversee KCRW Donor Swag - track, update and liaise with donors on sending material.
- Liaise with Membership on communication, review monthly direct mail lists and weekly fringe benefits.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications:
- You enjoy helping people and seeing them connect emotionally to KCRW and the ideas and lifelong learning it ignites. You are comfortable working with diverse groups of people.
- You are fearless about asking for support for KCRW. You are excited to share your passion for KCRW with long-time and brand-new fans and are energized by finding the ways in which a donor's involvement adds value to their life.
- You are a great listener, patient, level-headed, and enjoy learning.
- You are excited to grow and expand the depth and breadth of KCRW's Guardian and Champion Program. You want to work towards expanding new members of our community. You work internally and externally to assure that the Guardian and Champion Program meets the wants and needs of our donors.
- You communicate clearly and persuasively. You write well. You speak eloquently. You can explain just about anything to anyone, and you're comfortable communicating face-to-face, in writing and on the phone.
- You are motivated and driven. You volunteer for new challenges without waiting to be asked. You are a person who always helps your colleagues. You take ownership of the time you spend with us and truly make a difference.
- You are detail-oriented and strategic. As far as you're concerned, anything worth doing is worth doing right, every single time.
- You love being around people and enjoy one-of-a-kind music, news and culture events at night and on the weekends.
- You have a college degree or relevant work experience, especially in development so you can hit the ground running.
- You’re software savvy and have worked with SalesForce or HubSpot. You are comfortable using Adobe Photoshop and InDesign to create basic invitations, inserts, and other deliverables when needed.
- You have access to transportation to visit with donors and prospects and available for occasional work events on weekends and evenings
Education and Training:
- High School or equivalent education required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
What we offer:
- Salary, eligible for overtime
- Premium working holiday pay rate
- Sick leave award
- Vacation leave accrual
- Paid holidays
- Health insurance (including medical, dental, vision, FSA, life and AD&D) eligibility
- 403(b) with company match
KCRW aims to be representative of Southern California, and candidates with traditionally underrepresented backgrounds and perspectives are encouraged to apply. KCRW is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits to promote diversity in our workforce. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, status as a parent, national origin, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.