Vice President of Development at the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library
The Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library will honor the life, legacy, and enduring significance of our 26th president. We hope every encounter will inspire bold action and fearless participation In the Arena—and challenge all of us to dare greatly, live passionately, and care deeply. Just like T.R.
Through the principles of Conservation, Leadership, and Citizenship, we will build an architecturally significant destination at the fulcrum of T.R.’s heroic journey: The Badlands of North Dakota. This is the cradle of his conservation, and where he proved he could embody the strenuous life. Our site location provides a triangle of interest with Mount Rushmore to the south (2.3 million visitors per year), and Yellowstone National Park to the southwest (4.1 million visitors per year). While it is early in the growth of our organization, site selection and the hire of our architect are complete. We have a small development staff, substantial principal gifts fundraising success to date, the endorsement and support of the North Dakota Governor and legislature, and advanced planning for a campaign initiative. With offices in Bismarck, ND and New York City, this role is national in scope and can be served through Midwest or east coast residency.
In direct, daily partnership with the Chief Executive Officer and the development team, the Vice President of Development is responsible for fundraising and goals at the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library Foundation (TRPLF). With the help of our energetic Board of Trustees, the successful candidate will forge new relationships and expand our visibility, impact, and financial resources. The Vice President of Development will be responsible for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow and convert what is now essentially a principal gifts shop into a fully functional institutional advancement office with major gifts, a thriving annual fund, special events, corporate and foundation support, and other core programs coordinated with branding and communications.
The overarching framework for this growth will be an ambitious nine-figure campaign that has been designed and organized through campaign consultants who continue to guide and advise on our efforts. We seek a dynamic, organized individual with presentation talent, marketing savvy, proven seven-figure gifts solicitation success, and broad-based development exposure grounded in industry best practices that can be demonstrated from employment history. This individual must be committed to building a high-profile, nationally recognized program that does not fit within the usual category of non-profit organizations. They will have the flexibility to build out fundraising programming in a sequence and timeline based on our strengths and opportunities. They will understand our mission and the sweep of our vision and will fit well within our culture of driven, organized, dedicated, (fun) professionals. This is an exciting, high-access, front-line opportunity that requires a lot of creative synthesis. It is suited for an ambitious fundraiser with excellent organization, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
HOW YOU’LL CONTRIBUTE
● Facilitate campaign success and major gifts outreach including support for the CEO’s solicitations, support for the solicitation activity of volunteer leaders, direct solicitation of your own, and support/coordination for lower-level solicitations by other members of the development team
● Work with our Board and volunteers and donors to identify, cultivate, qualify and solicit an increasingly large circle of principal and major gift prospects and provide stewardship in recognition of their philanthropy that sends a powerful, public signal about how we celebrate generosity
● Support and partner with the Board of Directors, committees, and volunteer leaders on fundraising initiatives, providing full professional support and guidance as they take on a more active fundraising role
● Inspire the respect and confidence of stakeholders, corporate executives, foundation executives and our Board.
● Actively work with the CEO, staff, and consultants to create and implement a comprehensive development strategy and plan to include campaign success, major and principal gifts, foundation grants, annual fund, and events to promote and advance TRPL with multiple audiences and funding sources
● Collaborate with the CFO to develop and implement cost effective fundraising strategies; oversee, analyze, and report on priorities, growth, success against goals, and the development budget
● Grow TRPLF’s online fundraising capacity to create a more democratic blend of funding sources and donor investment
● Continuously provide statistical analysis on giving trends
● Supervise and mentor the development team (currently two FTE) that executes and supports all aspects of fundraising
● Assume primary responsibility with staff support for developing and maintaining proper systems for tracking and acknowledging donor information
● Minimum of five (5) years non-profit fundraising experience with direct, seven-figure solicitation success, experience with multi-faceted fundraising functions, and experience with industry best practices
● Experience forging relationships with multiple donor sources and establishing the confidence of constituents through professionalism and positive results
● Strong knowledge and fundamental adherence to principles, ethics and best practices of successful fundraising and/or marketing in keeping with a national presidential library that must maintain an immaculate public reputation
● Demonstrated success growing fundraising programs and exceeding goals
● Effective personal presentation skills with an authentic, compelling, ability to win the attention and respect of top level donors and volunteer leaders
● Superior writing skills that set the standard in an organization with superior language talents, especially concerning varied audiences (external solicitations, personal correspondence, etc.)
● Thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base and how different gift harvesting structures – annual fund, corps and founds, major gifts, planned gifts – work together in a constructive whole
● Experience managing and mentoring small staffs in a collegial and constructive manner
● Ability and proven success as a creative and resourceful problem-solver who can deal with some level of ambiguity and strive to build consensus and execute strategy
● Ability to manage the national scope of the project, with a willingness to travel as required
● Ability to think strategically and capitalize on opportunities
● Ability to conceptualize and execute development office growth and manage day-to-day department operations with delegation while accepting accountability and ultimate responsibility
● Strong computer skills, including experience using word processing, CRM, and presentation software, and the functional understanding of cross communication among these systems
● Extremely organized with superb attention to detail
● Excellent interpersonal skills, including flexibility, sense of humor and ability to communicate professionally and diplomatically with a wide variety of constituencies
Full benefits including medical, dental, and vision provided. Industry competitive salary.
TRPLF is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment. TRPL does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Vice President of Development Candidate. No phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.