About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is a global
non-profit organization that works to protect the Internet as a
place of opportunity. We connect and empower communities to ensure
the Internet remains trustworthy—open, globally connected, secure,
and a resource for good in the world. We believe the Internet is
for everyone. But it’s more than just a privilege; it’s our
responsibility to improve it.
We mobilize technologist, end users, potential users,
policymakers, government agencies and institutional and corporate
partners to defend and promote the collaborative inter-networking,
technical standards, and protocols that grow and strengthen the
If you believe in the power and possibility of the Internet, be
part of our mission!
About the position
The Internet Society (ISOC) is seeking a Policy and Advocacy
Manager in India to join our expert staff. This person will advance
the Internet Society’s global Internet policy and advocacy
objectives with a particular focus on advocacy in India.
This position will join the Internet Society’s global team of
project expert staff in the Office of Resource and Skill Management
and will be assigned to work on ISOC’s Internet Projects to Grow
and Strengthen the Internet worldwide.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with Internet
policy expertise, advocacy skills and experience in building
advocacy coalitions both in India. Ideally, this person will
have experience in the region and beyond. This person will support
ISOC’s advocacy goals in India and will contribute to our efforts
to build a stronger global Internet.
The Policy and Advocacy Manager should have a passion for the
Internet and the core principles and mission of the Internet
Society along with substantial knowledge of Internet public policy
issues in India. To be successful, this candidate will be a team
player, a self-starter and a creative thinker.
This is a 2 year employment term. Remote position.
Location: New Delhi, India
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively contribute to the execution of ISOC’s policy goals and
objectives across a wide range of projects and policy issue areas
such as access regulations, encryption, intermediary liability
regulation, and the open Internet.
- Position the Internet Society’s policy agenda strategically in
India with policymakers, partners and related stakeholders.
- Work with internal teams to mobilize partners and community
members to advocate for policy changes.
- Provide policy information and analyses, both verbally and in
writing, to internal leadership as well as policymakers, advocates,
partners, and other stakeholders.
- Represent the Internet Society in a variety of settings,
including with governments, regional and international policy and
technical fora, civil society and the private sector in a manner
that maintains the high standards of the Internet Society.
- Undertake the writing and editing of materials such as blogs,
stories, fact sheets, press releases, and reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters- in International Relations, Public Policy, Political
Science, Law or related field, or equivalent experience highly
- 3-5 years of experience in government relations and developing
and maintaining strategic relationships with external
decision-makers including government officials, technocrats,
advisory committees and working groups.
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring legislative, regulatory
and policy-making activities, and the ability to identify
opportunities to help shape policy outcomes related
- Demonstrated expertise on Internet-related policy topics such
as access regulations, encryption, intermediary liability
regulation, and the open Internet.
- Ability to translate complex Internet technical topics for a
policy audience and articulate Internet Society positions on a
range of Internet policy topics.
- Comfort and ability in technical areas, such as Information
Sciences or Technology, would be an asset.
- Have a deep and demonstrated commitment to cultivating and
leveraging networks or large external constituent groups towards
- Is passionate about defending the Internet, making it stronger
and has done great Internet policy and advocacy work in India.
- Deeply committed to the Internet Society’s vision and
- Works collaboratively and is enthusiastic about working in a
global, multicultural organization across time zones.
- Have a natural affinity for partnership and coalition
- Displays excellent written and oral communication skills with a
demonstrated ability to speak and write persuasively to a range of
- Comfort with meeting facilitation and public speaking is
- Fluency in English is required. Proficiency in additional
languages is desired.
- Commitment to the Internet Society’s mission, values and
- Experience working with a Globally distributed workforce and
ability to work across time zone.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability interact
positively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary
- Travel: Once conditions permit, this person will be expected to
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be
competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s
qualifications. Applications will be evaluated until the position
has been filled.
The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will be
reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee.