About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is a global
non-profit organization that works to protect the Internet as a
place of opportunity. We connect and empower communities to ensure
the Internet remains trustworthy—open, globally connected, secure,
and a resource for good in the world. We believe the Internet is
for everyone. But it’s more than just a privilege; it’s our
responsibility to improve it.
We mobilize technologist, end users, potential users,
policymakers, government agencies and institutional and corporate
partners to defend and promote the collaborative inter-networking,
technical standards, and protocols that grow and strengthen the
If you believe in the power and possibility of the Internet, be
part of our mission.
About the position
The candidate will assist the General Counsel in all legal
affairs of the organization, including compliance issues, corporate
governance, tax law, lobbying restrictions, grant and commercial
agreements, enterprise risk management, intellectual property and
The candidate must have excellent interpersonal, contract
drafting, and overall writing and communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise on laws applicable to nonprofits, including IRS
lobbying, state and local lobbying laws, self-dealing, and ethics
- Assist the General Counsel in triaging and responding to a high
volume of legal inquiries and issues
- Review, negotiate, and draft a variety of contracts and other
agreements, and partner with the General Counsel to oversee the
contract management function, including ensuring that contract
processes are up-to-date and effective.
- Draft and review grant agreements and facilitate the
organizations’ grantmaking by advising staff on how to address and
find solutions to questions that may arise concerning legal aspects
of grantmaking and find solutions.
- Partner with other operations team members to regularly update
and improve standard templates, such as grant agreements, contract
templates, offer letters, etc.
- Partner with the General Counsel to create and update policies,
procedures, and systems for legal compliance issues.
- Provide support for corporate governance activities as directed
by the General Counsel.
- Other duties assigned.
- Minimum 7 years of legal experience in providing legal counsel
to non-profit organization;
- Expertise in 501(c)(3) compliance;
- Nonprofit Experience a must.
- Global strategic thinking; sensitivity and knowledge of
cultural and political environments and have a strong commitment to
teamwork and accountability;
- Skilled at reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a variety of
- A commitment to ISOC’s mission and core values;
- Outstanding judgment and creative problem-solving skills,
including negotiation skills;
- Exceptional and persuasive written and verbal
- Juris doctor (JD) and current state license to practice
- Commitment to the Internet Society’s mission, values and
- Experience working with a Globally distributed workforce and
ability to work across time zone.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability interact
positively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary
- Ability to travel as needed.
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be
competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s
Applications will be evaluated until the position has been
filled. The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will
be reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation