- Employment Type
- Full Time
About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is a global non-profit organization that works to protect the Internet as a place of opportunity. We connect and empower communities to ensure the Internet remains trustworthy—open, globally connected, secure, and a resource for good in the world. We believe the Internet is for everyone. But it’s more than just a privilege; it’s our responsibility to improve it.
We mobilize technologist, end users, potential users, policymakers, government agencies and institutional and corporate partners to defend and promote the collaborative inter-networking, technical standards, and protocols that grow and strengthen the Internet.
If you believe in the power and possibility of the Internet, be part of our mission.
About the position
The candidate will assist the General Counsel in all legal affairs of the organization, including compliance issues, corporate governance, tax law, lobbying restrictions, grant and commercial agreements, enterprise risk management, intellectual property and employment matters.
The candidate must have excellent interpersonal, contract drafting, and overall writing and communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise on laws applicable to nonprofits, including IRS lobbying, state and local lobbying laws, self-dealing, and ethics rules.
- Assist the General Counsel in triaging and responding to a high volume of legal inquiries and issues
- Review, negotiate, and draft a variety of contracts and other agreements, and partner with the General Counsel to oversee the contract management function, including ensuring that contract processes are up-to-date and effective.
- Draft and review grant agreements and facilitate the organizations’ grantmaking by advising staff on how to address and find solutions to questions that may arise concerning legal aspects of grantmaking and find solutions.
- Partner with other operations team members to regularly update and improve standard templates, such as grant agreements, contract templates, offer letters, etc.
- Partner with the General Counsel to create and update policies, procedures, and systems for legal compliance issues.
- Provide support for corporate governance activities as directed by the General Counsel.
- Other duties assigned.
- Minimum 7 years of legal experience in providing legal counsel to non-profit organization;
- Expertise in 501(c)(3) compliance;
- Nonprofit Experience a must.
- Global strategic thinking; sensitivity and knowledge of cultural and political environments and have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability;
- Skilled at reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts;
- A commitment to ISOC’s mission and core values;
- Outstanding judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation skills;
- Exceptional and persuasive written and verbal communicator;
- Juris doctor (JD) and current state license to practice law.
- Commitment to the Internet Society’s mission, values and objectives.
- Experience working with a Globally distributed workforce and ability to work across time zone.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability interact positively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications.
Applications will be evaluated until the position has been filled. The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will be reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee.