About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is a global
non-profit organization that works to protect the Internet as a
place of opportunity. We connect and empower communities to ensure
the Internet remains trustworthy—open, globally connected, secure,
and a resource for good in the world. We believe the Internet is
for everyone. But it’s more than just a privilege; it’s our
responsibility to improve it.
We mobilize technologist, end users, potential users,
policymakers, government agencies and institutional and corporate
partners to defend and promote the collaborative inter-networking,
technical standards, and protocols that grow and strengthen the
If you believe in the power and possibility of the Internet, be
part of our mission.
About the Position
Reporting to the Resource Director, the Senior Application
Developer is part of the Internet Society’s Subject Matter Expert
Team focusing on project work to advance ISOC’s goals and
The Senior Application Developer will work on web front-end
development, database development and data transformation. The
successful applicant will contribute to projects that measure and
analyze specific aspects of global Internet usage, protocol
adoption, and routing security and will do so by developing and
supporting the infrastructure of the internal and externally facing
tools used by these projects.
See sample project: https://observatory.manrs.org/#/overview
We are looking for candidates that have experience in leading
initiatives, such as planning, designing and implementing a
complete system from scratch, or had ever had to take the
initiative to redesign parts of an existing system. Does this sound
This is a 2 year employment term.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Participates in architecture and software development
• Translates loosely defined requirements into solutions.
• Uses open source technologies and tools to address project
• Writes programs or scripts to enable custom workflows.
• Collaborates with other project members to brainstorm about the
best way to tackle a complex technological infrastructure,
security, or development problem.
• Performs incremental testing on code, processes, and deployments
to identify ways to streamline execution and minimize errors.
• Documents all work
• Maintains and administers core project infrastructure, including
Unix/Linux systems, Web servers, databases, and applications,
including software upgrades, security patching, and
• Other duties as assigned
Desired Qualifications and Expertise
• BS in Computer Science, IT, IS, or equivalent
• At least 5 years of experience in a Senior Developer Role
• Full Stack Wordpress administration experience.
• Database setup/administration experience - (e.g. SQL, SQLite,
• Knowledge of Web programming technologies and automation by
scripting languages (Python, Perl, Ruby, Bash etc.).
• Experience with version control software (Git) and deploying
development CI/CD technology such as TravisCI, Jenkins, AWS.
• Source Code Management experience with tools like, Github.
• Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and
• Work with monitoring and management tools such as Nagios.
• Network Operations and System Engineering experience.
• Operational experience in setting up containers.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Ability to convey information clearly, simply; produce reports,
• Experience working with a Globally distributed workforce and
ability to work across time zones
• Excellent communicator and collaborator
• Commitment to the Internet Society’s mission, values and
• Ability to travel as needed
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be
competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s
qualifications. Applications will be evaluated until the position
has been filled.
The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will be
reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee.