The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) Email Marketing
Specialist executes Direct Response donor email communications
and oversees WWP email marketing campaigns to ensure effective
performance of the email marketing program. The Email Marketing
Specialist analyzes and reports on email campaign performance and
applies those learnings to future campaigns. Areas of focus include
online house database growth, increasing conversion rates and
revenue, increasing donor retention, and strengthening the
integrity of online donor data.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Review and approve email campaign briefs to ensure email
strategy reflects Direct Response Online team and organizational
- Oversee WWP email campaigns from initial planning through copy,
creative, fact-checking, branding, and quality assurance
- Design and implement email testing plan, and schedule based on
- Manage multiple email lists and design segmentation plan.
- Collaborate with agency to coordinate, schedule, and ensure
on-time delivery of email sends.
- Review and edit email copy for grammatical correctness and
brand standards and ensure the organizational information presented
is clear and accurate.
- Lead creative development for videos, photos, etc. for email
- Conduct quality assurance testing on live test sends to include
review of content and technical elements, and approve for live
- Ensure planned A/B testing and segmentation is correct within
each email campaign.
- Produce internal email reporting and provide monthly analyses
- Review agency email reports for accuracy and communicate
analyses to management.
- Monitor inbox placement and deliverability of email sends.
- Research and support email acquisition efforts including email
list rental and third-party vendors.
- Collaborate with members of the Resource Development,
Marketing, and Communications teams and gather information to
develop content for email campaigns and eNewsletters.
- Work with Resource Development and Marketing teams and review
their email campaign strategies. Collaborate to avoid overlap
between lists or conflicting strategy.
- Serve as WWP’s email marketing subject matter expert and keep
current with latest email marketing trends, email marketing best
practices, CAN-SPAM Act regulations, and email technologies.
- Work with Direct Response television team to develop email
communications to sustainers.
- Maintain a repository of Direct Response email communications
on the Direct Response network drive.
- Generate appeal codes and tracking URLs for email campaigns and
maintain coding repository.
- Manage email premium process to include budget and art
approvals, revenue projections, and monitoring fulfillment to
ensure campaigns are adjusted accordingly.
- Ensure email campaigns are SEO compatible and coordinate a
process to retain them on the WWP website.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of online marketing and sales
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrated
writing and proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of HTML programming.
- Demonstrated understanding of database querying.
- Strong analytical and reporting skills.
- Effective organizational and time management skills.
Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and effectively
complete assignments and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure with minimal
- Proficient using Microsoft Office, e.g., Word, Excel,
- Strong interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to develop
and maintain professional relationships and interact effectively
with diverse individuals to build successful working
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and to
exercise good judgment when working with sensitive matters.
- High energy level. Self-starter; willing to take
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and
business ethics and conduct.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related
field. Equivalent combination of education, experience, training,
or certification may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Three years of experience in email marketing.
- Two years of copywriting experience.
- One year of experience analyzing online data and preparing
- One year of vendor management experience.
Certifications & Licensure