To preserve and document the rich history and culture of the
Sephardic community's traditions and values. To stand at the
intersection of traditional and modern life, while growing to meet
the contemporary needs of our community. To be a pillar of the
neighborhood, as a cultural, recreational, educational, and social
center, dedicated to serving generations of families from the
youngest children through senior citizens, and at every stage in
For the past 38 years. The Sephardic Community Center (“Center”)
has been guided by its founders’ mission to “preserve and nurture
the rich history and culture of the community.” With an operating
budget of $11M, approximately 35-full-time staff that expands to
250 seasonally and with all programs operational, the Center
continues to be a driving force and visible organization within the
community in Brooklyn, New York.
For more information, please visit: http://www.scclive.org
The Center is looking to hire an experienced Chief Financial
Officer (“CFO”) to be an integral part of the management team and
lead the financial strategy and operations of the
organization. Reporting to and partnering with the Chief
Executive Officer (“CEO”) and managing a team of seven, the CFO
will work in collaboration with the Board of Directors
(“BOD”) and other key leaders across the Center to ensure efficient
and transparent fiscal operations. This is an opportunity for
a financially and entrepreneurially minded person to bring new
ideas and initiatives to the fiscal planning and management,
administrative, and accounting functions for this most unique and
important community organization.
Financial and Operational Management
- Lead and oversee the day-to-day operations of the Center’s
finance functions including investment management.
- Work with the CEO and in collaboration with the BOD and
management team to ensure efficient and transparent fiscal
- Establish, monitor and where necessary, refine appropriate
control processes, including those related to payroll processing,
accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Responsible for oversight of the bi-annual budget process and
accurate preparation and analysis of budgets and financial reports
in order to assist the CEO, Board and members of the management
- Create appropriate reports and dashboards to make certain that
all financial information is communicated in a timely and accurate
- Proactively review, monitor, and report on the Center’s
financial performance including cash position, income and expenses,
budget compliance, and material deviation from the budget. Prepare
and present financial information to the CEO and Finance committee
- In conjunction with the Audit Committee, manage relationships
with outside auditors, assist in the audit process, and communicate
audit results and recommendations as appropriate.
- Assure that legal and regulatory documents are timely prepared
and filed and monitor compliance with laws and regulations as they
relate to finance functions.
- Maintain and enhance relationships with key vendors, including
banks, insurance companies and benefit providers. Seek cost savings
opportunities to include review of existing loan terms, investment
vehicles, and tax advantages, while enabling the organization to
expand services and programs.
- Conduct periodic enterprise risk assessments and report results
of such assessments as necessary. Coordinate remedial policies,
procedures, and actions.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance, Management;
graduate degree preferred; CPA a plus.
- 10 + years accounting/finance experience; a minimum of 5 years
senior financial leadership experience.
- Experience in both for-profit and non-profit financial
management strongly preferred.
- Experience in the fiscal management of a 10M+
- Expertise in identifying, implementing, and using financial
systems to improve financial and accounting productivity and
- Experience in working with external auditors, compliance, and
- Experience managing diverse revenue sources.
- Experience working with non-profit Boards a strong plus.