American Humane seeks a Development Operations Analyst. The
position will work closely with the Senior Director, Development
Operations, as well as the communications and fundraising teams to
develop marketing strategies to drive membership and donor
engagement. This position is based at American Humane’s
national headquarters in Washington, DC and reports directly to the
Senior Director, Development Operations. American Humane is
committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in the
workplace. As we seek to fill this position, we highly encourage
applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the
safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs
are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between
animals and people. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in
need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our
innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were
Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation
animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care
across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the
most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the
The Development Operations Analyst (Analyst) works closely with
the Senior Director, Development Operations, as well as the
Communications and Development teams to develop and execute
strategies aimed at increasing major and annual giving, campaigns,
and general donations in a manner that supports all programs, meets
goals, and reflects the mission and objectives of American
Humane. This position provides data support for the
development and implementation of direct mail, outbound
telemarketing, and e-Philanthropy, including online marketing,
email appeals, crowdfunding, mobile marketing and other emerging
technologies. In conjunction with the Director, Digital
Fundraising and IT department, the Analyst works to establish
strategies and plans for the maintenance, use and development of
new technologies and systems that will directly benefit users, both
internal and external. Additionally, the position maintains a
leadership role in proactively managing the Raiser’s Edge database,
regularly data mining and providing quantitative analysis and
reporting to senior leadership and Development team to support them
in their fundraising efforts. The Analyst serves as the
liaison to the Finance department for matters of constituent and
gift data entry, integrity and reconciliation.
- Ensure the seamless functioning of fundraising operations
(including constituent data management, caging and coding, and
- Provide leadership for the annual giving program, including
oversight and development of direct mail, telemarketing, and, in
collaboration with the Director, Digital Fundraising, all online
and sustainer campaigns; manage direct response vendors and work
with vendors to analyze data and develop direct mail plan for the
fiscal year, including segmentation and testing strategies.
- Analyze and maximize current direct response campaigns through
all channels and research new opportunities to increase marketing
return on investment and fundraising opportunities; develop donor
engagement activities, donor recognition strategies and drive
traffic to website to increase number of visitors, registrations
and constituent donations.
- Develop tools within Luminate Online and Raiser’s Edge that
support fundraising campaigns.
- Conceptualize database reports, including standard and custom
reports, requested by staff or for special projects, create report
templates and manage report requests from inception through
- Share data, findings and reports with executive and senior
staff so that data-driven decisions can be made to meet
departmental and institutional fundraising goals.
- Proactively conduct quantitative analysis of donor trends,
patterns and points of interest; deliver timely and actionable
- Provide database users with feedback on their data entry
practices; establish protocols, policies and procedures as
necessary to maintain best practices in all systems.
- Maintain user accounts and security settings for all
- Ensure accurate transfer of data from Raiser’s Edge to Finance
dept via Omatic bridge.
- Utilize all available Raiser’s Edge data enrichment tools to
ensure clean and accurate data, including, but not limited to
deceased processing, phone appends, email appends, age appends,
- Serve as liaison to vendors for all data enrichment services
such as wealth screening, system data appends or address update
- Manage contracts and negotiate contract renewals of constituent
relationship management systems as necessary.
- Review invoices and new products from vendors and confer with
leadership to determine best use of budgeted dollars.
- Work with the Senior Director, Development Operations to
develop annual budgets and income projections.
- Design and manage prospect/donor conversion and gift processing
workflow, including roles and responsibilities of all
- Generate ideas and implement metrics-driven solutions to
utilize other fundraising features in Luminate Online and Raiser’s
Edge, or other third-party vendors to expand fundraising
functionality that supports the development of fundraising programs
such as the sustainer program, tribute/memorial giving, matching
gifts, DAF widgets, etc.
- Participate in planning discussions around major giving,
planned giving and other development and communications team
- Ensure processes are documented and up to date.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Two to five years of experience with marketing and/or direct
response fundraising strategies.
- Solid organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to develop procedures for electronic systems use and
train technical and non-technical users.
- General knowledge of fundraising principals, pipeline
management and best practices.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; excellent proof
reading skills and attention to detail.
- Excels at compiling, analyzing and maintaining data, statistics
and other technology metrics.
- Works effectively as a team member in a fast-paced environment;
ability to effectively prioritize and work on multiple projects
- Use sound judgement and discretion in handling and securing
confidential information, as well as ability to conduct oneself in
a highly professional manner.
- Experience working in a data management capacity with
relational databases, preferably Blackbaud Luminate and Raiser’s
- Systems experience important; experience with Crystal or SQL a
- Knowledge of commercial internet/web tools and protocols as
well as the web processes from page creation to publishing.
- Solid track record of building and maintaining professional
relationships with vendors and colleagues.
Physical demands and work
- Standard office environment.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee will
be regularly required to:
- Sit for extended periods;
- Look at and work off of a computer screen for extended
- Talk, hear and exchange information over the telephone and in
American Humane’s core values define our workplace, and
these values serve as the cornerstone for interactions in advancing
our mission and institutional goals. Contractors are expected to
adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models,
demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Compassion – Being kind and caring in our
interactions with others.
Accountability - Holding ourselves to the
highest standards. Following through on commitments and owning our
actions, behavior, and decisions.
Respect for All – Being professional, listening
to others and honoring diversity in all its forms.
Loyalty to Mission – Staying focused on
our purpose and our mission – our nation’s most vulnerable depend
Sustainability - Contributing to being a great
place to work and achieving our shared mission and goals to make a
difference, now and in the future.
Honesty, Integrity, Trust – Demonstrating
transparency, as trusted stewards of donor resources, supporting
our leadership and one another.
American Humane (AH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a
commitment to fostering and growing diversity, equity and inclusion
in the workplace and the humane