Working with the Director of Development, this position will
develop and manage a comprehensive program in order to
increase the support of existing donors, re-engage former
supporters, and attract new benefactors to increase annual revenue
in order to support the overall goals of MASS MoCA.The Associate
Director of Development implements and maintains a strong list of
prospective individual and corporate supporters while continuing to
engage with current and past donors for both annual, program, and
capital support. Central to this position is working with the
Development team to acknowledge supporters in a consistent and
creative way to build confidence in the organization.
• Develop tailored short-term and long-term strategic plans for
corporate and individual giving utilizing giving opportunities such
as major gifts, monthly giving, online giving, direct mail, and
annual, program, capital, and planned giving.
• Cultivate and manage a broad base of corporate and individual
donors and prospects from various sources, including current and
past donors, and other key stakeholders.
• Contribute to the development of Annual Appeal messaging and
• Work collaboratively with other program areas to advance
fundraising goals; meet with individual donors as determined by the
Director of Development.
• Develop individual plans for donor engagement, including
volunteer opportunities, site visits, and cultivation events; this
includes all aspects of donor prospecting including research and
analysis. Recommend priorities for engagement to the Director of
Development based on research and agency needs.
• Work closely with the Manager of Foundations and Institutional
Giving and other development staff members to identify and
implement most effective strategies that will support existing
efforts and new program development.
• Plan and implement cultivation and fundraising events with the
Director of Development and Development Manager, including event
logistics and coordination.
• Work with the Development Manager and Membership Coordinator
to conceptualize and implement membership programs and donor
cultivation events to insure that the programs are fully integrated
in donor stewardship and cultivation plans.
• Assist the Director of Development to provide support on Board
Meeting preparation including reporting, information, presentation,
and other needs.
• Maintain accurate and complete records of donor
communications. Prepare regular reports on any special campaign
• Assume other tasks and responsibilities as needed; weekends
and evenings required.
• Superb verbal and written communication skills; personable and
• Effective prioritizer with time management skills, able to
work on many projects at once
• Highly motivated and hardworking, continuing through until
goals are complete
• Demonstrated knowledge of Excel and Word; familiarity with
• Proven communication skills including experience in writing
direct mail appeals, e-appeals, website text, and social media
• Direct marketing, special events, and development
• Ability to initiate and enjoy direct communication with donors
and potential donors; customer-service orientation
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, project and organizational
planning and project management experience, and the ability
to work well with all levels of internal management and staff
• Ability to handle diverse, simultaneous tasks, meet deadlines,
and attend to follow- through
Five or more plus years of related professional experience,
preferably, but not limited to, work in development for museums or
other arts and cultural organizations.