Chief Development Officer
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is the leader of Step Up's Community Development fundraising team and is responsible for acquiring, renewing, and upgrading private, public, and private/public revenue. The Chief Development Officer reports to the CEO.
DUTIES: The CDO provides the following strategic roles within the agency: Board of Directors:
- Provide accurate and consistent revenue projections
- Facility with numbers and articulating goals and progress
- Alignment between what Development reports as gift revenue with CFO and auditors recognize.
- Maintain effective connections between CEO, CFO, and Standing Committees for short, mid, and long range
- Ability to understand and explain Step Up's overall financial positions
- Help prevent or minimize adverse impact on fundraising when financial challenges and setbacks
Attend BOD and Committee meetings as the Staff liaison for Development Department
- Build and maintain high-level relationships with current and prospective project partners to drive agency growth
- Have a broad and comprehensive knowledge of all matters related to the agency to be a financially literate bridge, able to serve as an interpreter and liaison between CFOs, investors, and external partners
- Design and implement processes to support growth and expansion
- Knowledgeable and conversant in the language of nonprofit business planning, finance, and best
- Facility building effective community relationships
- Strengthen collaborative C-Suite relationships
- Employ sophisticated and responsible financial and business planning practices
- Develop overall organizational strategy balancing current needs and future potential
- Integrated Annual budgeting
Use data in making the case for investment in Development, and in supporting strategic positionsDevelopment Staff:
. • Facility with Management by Objective, setting SMART goals for Individual, Corporate, and Foundation revenue, and performance evaluations.
- Facility with Monthly Critical Path Analysis, actuals VS budget
- Facility with Moves Management approach/systems.
- Create high-performing and sustainable programs based on business principles and practices
- Lead Development team in becoming expert in accurately recording and thoroughly using data/information to support decision-making.
- Manage Development staff and anticipate appropriate staffing patterns to meet the needs of the
- Meet performance objectives as stated in annual Work
- Create and monitor progress on General Operating and Working Capital revenue/ expense
- Oversee monthly reconciliation of revenue with A&S.
- Implements the department's annual Strategic
- Timely compliance with all agency administrative
- Participates in developing sound Community Development policies and procedures.
- Oversight at fundraising and public relations
Other duties as assigned
- Facility presenting quantifiable impact
- Facility presenting gifts as investments
- Facility comparing Step Up's overall performance and planning to other agencies in a competitive context
- Foundation and Corporate relations management
Ensures government grants are completed accurately and timely
- Assists with preparing government grants as needed
- Utilize existing management
- Software literacy - Salesforce or other CRM and Microsoft Office
- Effective time-management
- Effective project management
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Effective Consensus-building and conflict resolution
- Professional attitude and workplace
- Outstanding team building
- Critical as well as strategic thinking
- Access to reliable transportation and proof of auto insurance
- Current valid CA driver's license and insurance
EXPERIENCE: Successful record of accomplishment of increasing responsibilities in senior level Development management; effective, professional relationships with internal and external key teams
and team leaders; knowledge of Community Development best practices and issues; knowledge of philanthropic communities; ability to deal with surprises and ambiguity. Self-directed and capable of working independently with limited oversight
EDUCATION: Master's Degree in related field.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge base, processes, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers; handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk; and hear. The employee is frequently required to walk, balance, stoop, kneel, and/or crouch (the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds). Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Keyboard data entry required.