Vice President, Strategic Marketing & Development
Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is the nation’s leading not-for-profit conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain.
We partner with individuals, corporations, foundations, Indigenous communities and governments at all levels to protect Canada’s most important natural areas, through securement and the long-term stewardship of our properties.
We make conservation happen. As a partner with industry and government, we help expand parks and protected areas. Our planning work, supporting local communities, Indigenous groups and conservation organizations, helps others to achieve their conservation goals.
Since 1962, NCC and our partners have helped to protect 14 million hectares (35 million acres), coast to coast to coast. By investing in conservation, we are ensuring our natural spaces remain a home for wildlife, a haven where Canadians can enjoy nature and a vital resource that cleans the air we breathe and the water we drink. Our mission gives us hope that the landscapes we love today will be here for others to cherish tomorrow.
This is a unique opportunity to build and deliver a cohesive marketing and development strategy at Canada’s foremost not-for-profit conservation organization. The Vice President (VP), Strategic Marketing & Development is responsible for engagement, fundraising and marketing activities to further the mission of the Nature Conservancy of Canada and to maximize brand awareness and revenues.
As a member of the Executive Management Group, the VP will play an active role and be a key influencer in setting the overall strategic direction of the organization and has a key role as a change agent to help propel NCC towards its next chapter of success. This role is uniquely positioned to guide and enable donor-facing teams to improve donor experience and increase their impact while also growing the overall donor base.
The VP, Strategic Marketing & Development will report to the President and CEO and will support the National Board’s Marketing and Development Committees.
- Strengthen NCC’s brand positioning and execute effective strategies to expand its reach and increase awareness to all Canadians.
- Explore new opportunities for earned revenue and public engagement.
- Identify and implement innovative strategies to grow revenues and expand our supporter-base by optimizing and diversifying engagement channels and activities.
- Actively participate in the development, communication and implementation of NCC’s new strategic plan to achieve its key objectives of stakeholder engagement, revenue generation and brand awareness.
- Design and implement business development strategies, including the national fundraising campaign, with a view of maximizing synergies amongst engagement, fundraising and marketing activities, both at the national and regional level.
- Leverage and nurture current relationships and attract new supporters, donors and partners.
- Mobilize multiple partners to achieve common goals, engage diversified perspectives and maintain strong cooperative relationships with regional and departmental teams.
- Modernize and streamline business processes while promoting the integration of innovative technologies.
- Promote the development and evolution of the various engagement channels and monitor and manage the performance of NCC’s nationwide development teams.
- Gain the confidence and build a strong working relationship with the department team ensuring that roles, responsibilities and goals are clearly communicated and achieved.
- Promote team effectiveness and support strategic growth.
- Define and monitor the department’s KPIs and metrics to maximize return on investment and effectively measure the impact of action plans.
- Manage a team of 26 composed of two activity sectors: Fundraising and Marketing.
- Build trusting relationships with the regional teams, volunteers and board members and provide the tools, expertise and mentorship needed to effectively deliver services and achieve results.
- Constantly monitor industry best practices to improve processes and approaches.
- Minimum relevant experience of 10 years in business development, sales, marketing or fundraising in a complex multi-market, multi-product environment or with a decentralized network.
- Senior-level leadership managing a fundraising and/or sales or marketing team.
- A brand champion who influences stakeholders, motivates staff, and drives revenue through increased awareness and support.
- Experience in managing partnerships, sponsorships and/or philanthropy.
- Experience working cross-functionally with executive-level leadership to establish strategy and direction, with a successful track record of cultivating positive relationships internally.
- Strong strategic thinking with demonstrated excellence in execution to deliver results.
- Marketing experience including understanding the importance of brand and building awareness.
- A proven track record in managing complex and ambitious projects or implementing structural changes and new processes within a decentralized business model.
- Experience in successful business transformation to support customer-centric approaches and digital innovation would be an asset.
- Demonstrated capacity to measure ROI and performance of business processes.
- Strong capacity to scan and analyze environment and foresee trends.
- Ability to synthesize and sell concepts to inspire confidence and get buy-ins.
- Data-savvy to help implement and build the infrastructure to support a data-centric decision-making and technology-driven team.
- Knowledge or relevant experience in conservation, environment and/or the not-for-profit sectors an asset.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in business administration, marketing or other relevant studies. MBA and/or CFRE is an asset.
- Bilingualism, French/English an asset.
- A strategic thinker and a master of execution who can thrive in a decentralized environment.
- An engaged leader who can bring a strategic vision and foster a culture of excellence in leadership, fundraising, relationship building, stewardship and recognition.
- A sensitivity for Canada’s regional specificities and a capacity to adapt to it.
- A personal passion and commitment to nature and conservation.
- A caring and mobilizing manager who builds engagement, alignment, and a trusting and positive learning environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; interacts in a meaningful way with colleagues, volunteers, donors and partners.
- Results-oriented with an entrepreneurial bent and the ability to move ideas and projects forward.
- A positive change agent with a creative mind who dares to try innovative routes and blaze new trails.
- Outstanding communications skills; highly refined persuasion and negotiation skills.
- Donor-centric and strong customer experience focus.
- Brings a high level of emotional intelligence, empathy, and integrity.
- Demonstrated capacity to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-faceted and changing environment.
- High degree of proficiency with digital business environment.
- Highly accountable, driven by results and tenacious in achieving results, targets and timeline.
- Openness to working remotely and willingness to travel to meet business demands.
- Commitment to continuous learning and improvement.
A competitive compensation package including base salary and benefits will be provided.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application by end of day December 10th, 2020, by emailing your cover letter and résumé to: NCC@searchlightpartnersgroup.com
NCC is an equal-opportunity employer and committed to fair and accessible employment practices. We strongly support and value diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank applicants for their interest, however; only those advancing in the process will be contacted.