Senior Development Officer
Take a world-changing job. Climate Central is
seeking an energetic, strategic, and seasoned fundraiser to join
its development team. Reporting to the Vice President for
Development, the Senior Development Officer will manage a portfolio
of prospects and donors that have the capacity to make six- and
seven-figure gifts to support the organization’s mission and
About Climate Central
Climate Central is an independent, dynamic science, technology
and communications non-profit organization with an entrepreneurial
atmosphere. Founded in 2008 by academic leaders at Princeton, Yale
and Stanford, Climate Central provides a bridge between the public
and climate scientists and contributes in a pivotal way to the
national and international efforts to communicate the facts of
As an independent, non-partisan science organization, Climate
Central researches and reports the facts about climate change
impacts, such as extreme weather, drought, flooding, wildfires, and
sea level rise, as well as alternative energy systems and
transportation. Climate Central is not an advocacy organization and
does not lobby or support any specific legislation, policy or
- Effectively manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and
donors that have the capacity to make six- and seven-figure
- Create strategies for cultivation, solicitation, closure and
stewardship, including the design and execution of complex,
- Make a minimum of ten meaningful donor contacts per month and
an average of two major gift solicitations per month.
- Seek new, promising prospects through research and leveraging
the organization’s impressive board, donor, and staff network.
- Align prospect interests and philanthropic goals with Climate
Central’s current and emerging funding priorities
- To further cultivation efforts, manage a limited number of
major donor events to attract new prospects and deepen engagement
with current donors.
- Oversee donor stewardship efforts for select donors, helping to
promote a culture of gratitude among internal and external
- Manage a small portfolio of foundations. Oversee the
development of compelling proposals and stewardship plans.
- Enhance professional skills through training and
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 5-8 years of development experience, with a strong
record of closing six-figure gifts; experience closing seven-figure
gifts is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, cultivate, solicit and
steward prospects and donors and effectively move them through the
- Experience building new donor programs, identifying giving
opportunities and thinking creatively to establish matches between
donors and Climate Central’s programs and funding priorities.
- Experience with both highly engaged donors and well as with
making qualification calls.
- Demonstrated ability to engage and support volunteer leadership
with their efforts in fundraising, consultation, and advocacy.
- Strong record of raising support for science/technology
programs or projects, including research initiatives is
- Experience in foundation fundraising is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and experience utilizing
fundraising database programs.
- A high level of initiative, organizational skills, and
meticulous attention to detail.
- Skill in successfully managing multiple projects on tight
deadlines and under pressure in a dynamic and open
- Unquestionable integrity and commitment to professional ethics,
and the ability to responsibly handle sensitive and confidential
information with discretion.
- Ability to grasp and articulate complex programs in a way that
meets the interests and passions of donors.
- A creative, enthusiastic team member with a clear commitment to
the mission of the organization.
- Strong verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to
write clearly and persuasively.
- Experience interacting with individuals from diverse
- At a minimum, a working knowledge of environmental issues and
- Able to travel and undertake occasional evening and weekend
- A Bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree is
Location: Currently, our work is being
conducted remotely. When conditions allow, the Senior Development
Officer must be able to spend significant amount of each month
traveling, with a focus on New York and surrounding states, and be
able to have a periodic presence at the Princeton, NJ
Compensation: Compensation is competitive
and commensurate with experience.
How to Apply: Please send
your cover letter, resume, link(s) to any relevant
online identity (e.g. LinkedIn),
and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject line: Senior Development Officer.
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a
candidate. Due to the volume of employment applications, Climate
Central is unable to respond to each application individually. The
search will close when a successful candidate is recruited.
Climate Central embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are
committed to building a workplace that represents a variety of
backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We recognize that diverse
teams make the strongest teams, and we encourage people from all
backgrounds to apply. The more inclusive we are, the better our
work will be.