Senior Development Officer
Senior Development Officer
Take a world-changing job. Climate Central is seeking an energetic, strategic, and seasoned fundraiser to join its development team. Reporting to the Vice President for Development, the Senior Development Officer will manage a portfolio of prospects and donors that have the capacity to make six- and seven-figure gifts to support the organization’s mission and goals.
About Climate Central
Climate Central is an independent, dynamic science, technology and communications non-profit organization with an entrepreneurial atmosphere. Founded in 2008 by academic leaders at Princeton, Yale and Stanford, Climate Central provides a bridge between the public and climate scientists and contributes in a pivotal way to the national and international efforts to communicate the facts of climate change.
As an independent, non-partisan science organization, Climate Central researches and reports the facts about climate change impacts, such as extreme weather, drought, flooding, wildfires, and sea level rise, as well as alternative energy systems and transportation. Climate Central is not an advocacy organization and does not lobby or support any specific legislation, policy or bill.
- Effectively manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors that have the capacity to make six- and seven-figure gifts.
- Create strategies for cultivation, solicitation, closure and stewardship, including the design and execution of complex, high-level solicitations.
- Make a minimum of ten meaningful donor contacts per month and an average of two major gift solicitations per month.
- Seek new, promising prospects through research and leveraging the organization’s impressive board, donor, and staff network.
- Align prospect interests and philanthropic goals with Climate Central’s current and emerging funding priorities
- To further cultivation efforts, manage a limited number of major donor events to attract new prospects and deepen engagement with current donors.
- Oversee donor stewardship efforts for select donors, helping to promote a culture of gratitude among internal and external constituents.
- Manage a small portfolio of foundations. Oversee the development of compelling proposals and stewardship plans.
- Enhance professional skills through training and mentorship.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 5-8 years of development experience, with a strong record of closing six-figure gifts; experience closing seven-figure gifts is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects and donors and effectively move them through the gift cycle.
- Experience building new donor programs, identifying giving opportunities and thinking creatively to establish matches between donors and Climate Central’s programs and funding priorities.
- Experience with both highly engaged donors and well as with making qualification calls.
- Demonstrated ability to engage and support volunteer leadership with their efforts in fundraising, consultation, and advocacy.
- Strong record of raising support for science/technology programs or projects, including research initiatives is preferred.
- Experience in foundation fundraising is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and experience utilizing fundraising database programs.
- A high level of initiative, organizational skills, and meticulous attention to detail.
- Skill in successfully managing multiple projects on tight deadlines and under pressure in a dynamic and open environment.
- Unquestionable integrity and commitment to professional ethics, and the ability to responsibly handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to grasp and articulate complex programs in a way that meets the interests and passions of donors.
- A creative, enthusiastic team member with a clear commitment to the mission of the organization.
- Strong verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively.
- Experience interacting with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- At a minimum, a working knowledge of environmental issues and science.
- Able to travel and undertake occasional evening and weekend work.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
Location: Currently, our work is being conducted remotely. When conditions allow, the Senior Development Officer must be able to spend significant amount of each month traveling, with a focus on New York and surrounding states, and be able to have a periodic presence at the Princeton, NJ headquarters.
Compensation: Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
How to Apply: Please send your cover letter, resume, link(s) to any relevant online identity (e.g. LinkedIn), and salary expectations to email@example.com with the subject line: Senior Development Officer.
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate. Due to the volume of employment applications, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application individually. The search will close when a successful candidate is recruited.
Climate Central embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.