National Center for Law and Economic Justice
Director of Development
$125-150,000 commensurate with experience
Location: NYC (currently working remotely)
The National Center for Law and Economic Justice (NCLEJ) fights
to bring about its vision of a country in which the fundamental
needs of all residents are met and in which unfair economic
constraints imposed upon marginalized individuals and communities
are eliminated. We are an expanding organization that partners with
other litigation and advocacy organizations, grass roots and
community organizations, and individuals to fight for racial and
economic justice for public benefits recipients, low-wage workers,
persons with disabilities, and individuals and communities denied
full access to economic growth and
Development Director’s role:
Following a successful transition to a new Executive Director,
NCLEJ seeks to reinstate the position of in-house Development
Director, after using the services of an outside consultant during
the transition. The Director will attend meetings of the Board of
Directors and work closely with the Executive Director, Board
members, and staff. The Director will be a member of the Senior
Management Team (Executive Director, Director of Litigation and
Advocacy, Financial and Administrative Director, and Communications
Director). The Director will be responsible for building a diverse,
strong and expanding base of funding from individuals, foundations,
law firms, corporations, and special events.
- Shape NCLEJ's fundraising vision by creating, implementing and
monitoring a comprehensive development strategy with the ambitious
goal of doubling donations from all sources from $2.5 million to $5
million within five years.
- Significantly increase giving by individual donors, including
current donors, and work closely with the Executive Director and
Board to pursue transformative gifts.
- Develop and implement strategies for identification,
cultivation, solicitation and stewardship for all types and levels
- Develop and write proposals to foundations, and write reports
for grants received.
- Grow current partnerships with law firms, and forge new
collaborations with law firms and corporations to increase
- Develop and implement a successful digital fundraising
strategy, partnering with the Communications Director.
- Supervise members of the development team, including
consultants and future employees.
- Use writing, speaking and editing skills to create powerful and
persuasive cases for support. Collaborate with staff and
Communications Director to identify needs and draft compelling
- Assist in planning and implementing a capital campaign.
- Advise on Board recruitment to the goal of enhancing revenue
Qualifications and experience of the ideal
- Have a deep commitment to, and understanding of, racial and
economic justice issues. Have experience with fundraising for
social justice causes.
- Be a talented leader with a demonstrated ability to work
independently and as a team player.
- Have expertise in foundations, major gifts, annual campaigns,
or direct mail.
- Have exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal
- Have excellent organizational skills and be able to multi-task
and prioritize while remaining on top of details.
- Have facility with spreadsheets, Microsoft Office Suite, and
- Be comfortable developing and navigating budgets and be
familiar with basic non-profit financial and reporting
- Have experience working with senior management and boards of
directors, ideally in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic work
- Have experience managing others, and a strong ability to
recruit, train, mentor, and motivate development staff.
Benefits: NCLEJ has a generous benefits package
including health, dental and vision insurance; paid vacation and
sick days; an FSA Plan; and contributions to a 403(b) plan.
Equal opportunity: NCLEJ is proud to be an
equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis
of race, gender, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or
national or ethnic origin.
Application process: Please submit a resume and
cover letter in a single Word or PDF document. All
submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of
Development” in the subject line.