IT System Support Specialist
About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is a global non-profit organization that works to protect the Internet as a place of opportunity. We connect and empower communities to ensure the Internet remains trustworthy—open, globally connected, secure, and a resource for good in the world. We believe the Internet is for everyone. But it’s more than just a privilege; it’s our responsibility to improve it.
We mobilize technologist, end users, potential users, policymakers, government agencies and institutional and corporate partners to defend and promote the collaborative inter-networking, technical standards, and protocols that grow and strengthen the Internet.
If you believe in the power and possibility of the Internet, be part of our mission.
About the position
The position of IT System Support Specialist is based in the Reston, VA office and reports to the Internet Society’s Director, Global IT. The incumbent in this role provides first-level IT helpdesk support and training primarily to staff of the Internet Society.
Working together with other members of the global IT team the successful applicant will:
- Assume the lead role in helpdesk support
- Participate in training of Internet Society staff
- Assist with rollouts of applications / OS updates
- Mange the Desktop Management and Virus Protection platforms
Location : Preference Reston, VA (open of US Remote locations)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide first level hands-on IT helpdesk and tool support and training primarily to Internet Society staff of the Reston office.
- Provide IT helpdesk support to remote ISOC staff around the world via email, videoconference, the ISOC helpdesk system, and other tools.
- Deliver user training (on-site in Reston, or to remote users via web conferencing).
- Maintain and manage Reston office IT infrastructure.
- Develop and maintain user documentation.
- Utilize JAMF device-management software to support ISOC devices globally.
- Utilize Sophos virus console to monitor ISOC systems for viruses / malware.
- Carry out system admin tasks (managing user accounts, mailing lists etc.).
- Participate in IT projects as identified and assigned (system evaluation, installation, configuration etc.).
- Provide regular status updates to the Director, Global IT, and escalate issues as required.
- Occasional travel may be required to support regional conferences or attend staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned during the course of business.
- 1 - 5 years IT support experience.
- Self-starter, with proven ability to work independently and as part of a distributed team.
- Ability to be flexible and patient with global staff with diverse understanding of IT technology, tools.
- Strong competence with Mac OSX a must.
- Experience with MacOS productivity tools (Mail, Calendar, Contacts etc.) and Microsoft Office suite for Mac.
- Experience with various mail clients, understanding of installation and configuration of software, Apple workstation setup, and workstation security best practices are a must.
- Experience with wireless networks and troubleshooting of same.
- Experience with JAMF products a strong plus.
- Previous experience with audio/visual equipment and production a strong plus.
- Excellent problem-solving skills – ability to proactively research issues and find solutions.
- Ability to work under pressure, balancing and prioritizing many activities concurrently while maintaining attention to detail.
- Experience in providing support for cloud-based enterprise tools (example: Outlook 365 suite).
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills in English is a must.
- Spanish or French language skills will be considered a plus.
- Commitment to the Internet Society’s mission, values and objectives.
- Experience working with a Globally distributed workforce and ability to work across time zone.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability interact positively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications.
Applications will be evaluated until the position has been filled. The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will be reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee.