About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is a global
non-profit organization that works to protect the Internet as a
place of opportunity. We connect and empower communities to ensure
the Internet remains trustworthy—open, globally connected, secure,
and a resource for good in the world. We believe the Internet is
for everyone. But it’s more than just a privilege; it’s our
responsibility to improve it.
We mobilize technologist, end users, potential users,
policymakers, government agencies and institutional and corporate
partners to defend and promote the collaborative inter-networking,
technical standards, and protocols that grow and strengthen the
If you believe in the power and possibility of the Internet, be
part of our mission.
About the position
The position of IT System Support Specialist is based in the
Reston, VA office and reports to the Internet Society’s Director,
Global IT. The incumbent in this role provides first-level IT
helpdesk support and training primarily to staff of the Internet
Working together with other members of the global IT team the
successful applicant will:
- Assume the lead role in helpdesk support
- Participate in training of Internet Society staff
- Assist with rollouts of applications / OS updates
- Mange the Desktop Management and Virus Protection
Location : Preference Reston, VA (open of US Remote
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide first level hands-on IT helpdesk and tool support and
training primarily to Internet Society staff of the Reston
- Provide IT helpdesk support to remote ISOC staff around the
world via email, videoconference, the ISOC helpdesk system, and
- Deliver user training (on-site in Reston, or to remote users
via web conferencing).
- Maintain and manage Reston office IT infrastructure.
- Develop and maintain user documentation.
- Utilize JAMF device-management software to support ISOC devices
- Utilize Sophos virus console to monitor ISOC systems for
viruses / malware.
- Carry out system admin tasks (managing user accounts, mailing
- Participate in IT projects as identified and assigned (system
evaluation, installation, configuration etc.).
- Provide regular status updates to the Director, Global IT, and
escalate issues as required.
- Occasional travel may be required to support regional
conferences or attend staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned during the course of business.
- 1 - 5 years IT support experience.
- Self-starter, with proven ability to work independently and as
part of a distributed team.
- Ability to be flexible and patient with global staff with
diverse understanding of IT technology, tools.
- Strong competence with Mac OSX a must.
- Experience with MacOS productivity tools (Mail, Calendar,
Contacts etc.) and Microsoft Office suite for Mac.
- Experience with various mail clients, understanding of
installation and configuration of software, Apple workstation
setup, and workstation security best practices are a must.
- Experience with wireless networks and troubleshooting of
- Experience with JAMF products a strong plus.
- Previous experience with audio/visual equipment and production
a strong plus.
- Excellent problem-solving skills – ability to proactively
research issues and find solutions.
- Ability to work under pressure, balancing and prioritizing many
activities concurrently while maintaining attention to detail.
- Experience in providing support for cloud-based enterprise
tools (example: Outlook 365 suite).
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication
skills in English is a must.
- Spanish or French language skills will be considered a
- Commitment to the Internet Society’s mission, values and
- Experience working with a Globally distributed workforce and
ability to work across time zone.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability interact
positively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary
- Ability to travel as needed.
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be
competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s
Applications will be evaluated until the position has been
filled. The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will
be reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation