Our Mission: The Musical Instrument Museum
(MIM) enriches our world by collecting, preserving, and making
accessible an astonishing variety of musical instruments and
performance videos from every country in the world. MIM offers
guests a welcoming and fun experience, incomparable interactive
technology, dynamic programming, and exceptional musical
performances. MIM fosters appreciation of the world’s diverse
cultures by showing how we innovate, adapt, and learn from each
other to create music—the language of the soul.
Background: MIM has been named one of the 2020
Top Companies To Work For in Arizona! We offer an engaging and
collaborative work environment with a generous benefit package.
Joining the MIM Team means advocating for and assisting in
achieving long-term sustainability of a premiere cultural
destination with a national and international reputation. As MIM
completes its tenth year of operation, it is an exciting and
pivotal moment in the museum’s history. This role presents a unique
opportunity for an accomplished grantwriting professional to join a
world-class organization with an exceptionally talented team
focused on advancing the mission of MIM for future generations.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Director of
Institutional Advancement, this position serves as the strategic
partner with MIM internal departments in facilitating the process
of pursuing unrestricted and restricted funds for educational,
operational, endowment, theater, and curatorial projects and
programs to Foundations, Corporations, and Government entities.
- Works collaboratively with internal departments and team
members in the conceptualization and development of proposals to
ensure the best interests of MIM and internal departments are
- Creates and maintains a strategic plan that identifies and
qualifies current and new funders annually that align with MIM
programs, initiatives, and organizational needs
- Identifies and develops strategies to optimize grants
administration process, ensuring a high-level of productivity and a
robust pipeline of grantors for each calendar year.
- Partners with Strategic Data Specialist to perform prospect
research on foundations, corporations, and government entities to
evaluate targeted opportunities for grant funding.
- Performs all activities to prepare, submit, and manage grant
proposals to foundations, corporations, and government
- Works collaboratively with the Finance department and others to
prepare financial budgets for grant proposals and ensure adherence
to all federal and state regulations.
- Works closely with internal teams to structure and implement
administrative grant requirements (e.g. Grant Summary sheets,
Recognition Summary sheets, invoices, etc.).
- Develops, prepares, and submits timely and accurate reports for
all grant funded projects, ensuring compliance with proposed
outcomes and grantor recognition, to the maximum extent
- Stewards current and potential grantors through the provision
of regular written updates (newsletters, email touchpoints, phone
calls) and on-site visits.
- Cultivates community relationships with foundation officers and
other prospects, arranging onsite tours, lunches, and potential
meetings with Executive Director
- Maintains current, detailed, and accurate records in Patron
Manager database, electronic files on the Institutional Advancement
shared drive, including grant tracking/reporting of all
- Tracks relevant statuses of grants in various stages, with
periodic detailed reports to the Executive Director on fundraising
- Tracks and maintains statistics for donor stewardship (guest
numbers and demographics, educational program attendance,
- Conveys importance of MIM’s mission and value to the world
community to potential grantors and other prospective funders
- Assists with other fundraising projects and duties as
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5-7 years grant writing
experience that includes a proven track record of fundraising
- Strong writing, editing, and interpersonal communications
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Proven analytical skills — translating data into compelling
- Ability to easily interact and perform in cross-functional
teams, as well as leadership
- Knowledge of research techniques for grants and fundraising
prospects, including experience with grants databases and
- Multi-tasker with strong ability to work under pressure, meet
stated deadlines, and produce quality reaults with attention to
detail and accuracy
- Positive attitude with a comprehensive understanding and
appreciation for stewardship
- Proficient in using computers with related knowledge of
software programs and the Internet.
For more information visit mim.org. To apply follow this