VP of Finance, non-profit
The Heart of America Foundation (HOA) seeks a VP of Finance to manage all aspects HOA finance operations. Candidate must have non-profit accounting experience. This role will be based in the DC, MD, VA area. Heart of America offers an attractive compensation package, including medical, dental, paid holidays, vacation leave, a 403(b) plan.
Heart of America transforms spaces into modern learning environments so students and communities can learn and grow. Over the past 23 years, Heart of America has provided high-quality resources and transformed spaces in under-resourced schools into modern learning environments so that students and communities can learn and grow. We have served more than two million students in need by distributing more than 4 million books, infusing $2 million in technology, and transforming more than 500 school and community libraries, cafeterias, gymnasiums, college and career centers, tech labs, and many more educational spaces across North America.
The Vice President, Finance oversees all aspects of Heart of America’s (HOA) finances and operations. Reporting to the President and serving as a key member of the leadership team, the VP will be responsible for advancing HOA’s approach to financial management and contributing to HOA’s overall strategic direction. In addition, this person will ensure that accurate and useful financial reporting and modelling guides HOA’s decision-making. The VP will be responsible for ensuring the best processes and policies are in place for both finance and operations. The VP will manage the Finance Coordinator and oversee relationships with a number of external vendors and consultants.
This is a hands on role, the VP will be involved in the day to day details and must be proficient with using accounting software (Sage Intacct preferred), making updates, creating reports, etc.
Details of Responsibilities
- Enhances and implements organizational vision in keeping with
- As a member of the leadership team, this staff member will guide and engage in short and long-term strategic planning for initiatives in scope of this role.
- Ensures alignment of decision-making, goal setting and problem solving for programs within the scope of this role as directed by Mission/Vision.
- Provides a clear link between organizational goals and objectives and team job descriptions and individual roles and responsibilities.
- Ensures programmatic excellence based on HOA’s Operating
- Attract, develop, coach and retain high performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility and performance.
- Provide leadership in development of inter-team communications and cohesiveness, sustaining HOA’s values and supporting staff during organizational growth.
- Demonstrate consistent quality of finance and administration; communications and systems; recommends timelines and resources needed to achieve program goals. Ensure that key project outcomes are evaluated and leveraged for maximum community and organizational impact.
- Manages and promotes relationships with key stakeholders,
utilizing outstanding customer service and establishing strong
- Researches and develops new relationships with sponsors, partners, and other relative stakeholders to promote project development and secure new contracts.
- Oversees all financial accounting
- Ensures that Heart of America complies with all applicable accounting policies, procedures and standards in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles for nonprofits
- Coordinates and develops the organization’s budget process, both for annual budgeting and long-range financial forecasts; works closely with President and all departments to analyze available funding and estimate likely resource needs
- Establishes and manages permanent budget systems and practices
- Manages, monitors and tracks general ledger account balances and reconciliations
- Maintains detailed reconciliations and backup documentation of all key asset and liability account balances
- Oversees month-end, quarterly and year-end reconciliation and closing processes
- Proactively reviews HOA’s accounting, financial reporting and internal control policies and procedures to seek continuous improvement and to achieve government and regulatory compliance
- Supports other related financial and operational processes
- Leads and supports annual audit and Form 990 preparation, including schedule preparation, detailed account analysis and explanation, and inventory and responds to external auditor questions and inquiries, etc.
- Prepares financial updates for the Finance Committee and Board of Directors and performs financial analyses as requested
- Provides financial data in support of grant applications, other organizational opportunities and fundraising campaigns (individual and other)
- Assists in system conversions and upgrades for all finance and accounting systems including payroll, timekeeping. With the Vice-President of HR/Administration, ensure staff is properly trained
- Establishes effective policies and procedures to ensure a strong level of internal controls and maintains the organization’s Accounting Manual to reflect procedural and policy changes
- Oversees the protection of the organizations assets (petty cash and tracking and inventory of equipment) through the enforcement of internal control policies and procedures
- Provides feedback/suggestions on process improvements
- Works on special projects and assignments as directed
- Develops strategic and operational planning in keeping with
HOA’s values and operating principles
- Serves on leadership team
- Participates in strategic planning and visioning of current and future programs and ensure alignment of decision-making, goal setting and problem solving for programs.
- Provides fiscal context for program development and mission
- Supports President and Vice President of Operations and other VPs in all aspects of strategic and operational planning.
Skills & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree, CPA License preferred
- 10 + years accounting experience with 5+ years non-profit accounting experience
- Current accounting theory, principles and practices and their application including all FASB accounting standards updates, and be committed to keeping updated on FASB standards.
- Experience with government grant related accounting and financial reporting
- Proficient in use of Microsoft programs and general ledger accounting systems, with advanced knowledge of Excel, Sage Intaact and Expensify
- Able to accurately analyze and interpret fiscal accounting records
- Able to prepare accurate and complete financial statements and reports
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent people and leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
Abilities & Competencies:
- Ability to develop and direct long-term projects as they relate to the strategic goals of the organization
- Ability to make strategic, administrative and procedural decisions on sensitive, confidential issues
- Demonstrated ability to perform at a high level independently and to complete work within established deadlines
- Strong attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to work collaboratively with many types of people at different levels, both within the organization and with outside agencies
- Ability to get along well with diverse personalities and be tactful, flexible, and discreet
- Ability to work in team-oriented atmosphere
- Highly organized, professional and flexible in a dynamic environment
- A strong work ethic and positive spirit in order to accommodate a large work load
- Commitment to organizational culture of compassion and values of respect and kindness