Vice President of Marketing, Philanthropy and Communications
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervision of employees in Marketing, Philanthropy and Communications Department
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: The Vice President of Marketing, Philanthropy and Communications is responsible for the development and the implementation of comprehensive plans that support the growth, image, and strategic interests of BAMSI consistent with the organization's mission, vision, strategic, and operational goals. This position is responsible for developing, implementing, and continuously improving all fundraising, marketing, branding, public relations, and internal communications plans with a continual focus on innovation and advancement of the organization. We are looking for a candidate who can strategically lead development and marketing efforts and supervise/provide management for all operational components including: creation of communications and marketing plans to encourage service line growth and philanthropic support; launching major initiatives to bolster BAMSI’s reputation; annual fund development, grant writing, marketing and enhanced brand awareness, media relations and strategies for social media and internal communication.
Situation: BAMSI is a 45-year-old multi-service organization serving roughly 60,000 individuals and families with developmental disabilities, mental illness, behavioral health, and public health needs annually. Although BAMSI’s funding has historically come primarily from state contracts revenue diversification is a strategic goal of the organization moving forward. Past fundraising has been focused mainly around events and corporate sponsorships. As part of BAMSI’s strategic plan, more emphasis is being put on external marketing efforts, particularly around talent acquisition and general brand awareness.
• Expand and strengthen BAMSI’s fundraising activities through the creation and implementation of a comprehensive plan for fund development which includes growing individual giving and the annual fund, maximizing events, expanding corporate and foundation relations, increasing grant revenue, and setting up major and planned giving programs.
• Grow and diversify existing funding base; manage portfolio of major gift donors and expand the major donor program.
• Work closely with President/CEO, board of directors, and senior leadership to establish and meet annual fundraising goals.
• Identify grant opportunities and work with internal partners to coordinate and complete submissions.
• Design and implement a cost-effective development program to achieve the highest possible return on investment.
• Ensure fundraising policies and practices are compatible with BAMSI’s mission, vision and strategic plan.
• Create and continuously promote a culture of philanthropy within BAMSI.
• Develop education and training programs for staff and the BAMSI Board of Directors.
• Integrate and manage all aspects of Marketing including development and implementation of strategic campaigns for growth, internal communications, community relations, media relations, website/social media, and brand identity.
• Conduct analysis to identify priority service lines and develop action plans to promote using appropriate marketing tactics.
• Serve as the chief Public Information Officer for BAMSI handling routine media as well as crisis communications.
• Mentor and coach marketing staff to function independently with accountability for performance.
• Expand BAMSI’s community relations and media relations presence to fully represent the current geographic footprint of services across the state.
• Advise and serve as a key partner to the senior leadership team to execute critical internal communications initiatives (e.g., town halls, listening sessions and newsletters), including drafting key communications for and providing guidance to the President/CEO and other senior leaders.
• Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of marketing efforts through the development of meaningful metrics.
• Continue to develop a robust social media presence to engage key constituents including persons served and their families, community organizations, donors, persons served, elected officials, business partners and employees.
• Develop education and training programs for staff and the Board related to marketing communications, and brand stewardship.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive communication plan in concert with President/CEO and other members of senior leadership.
• Continuously evaluate and improve internal and external communication across the organization.
• Manage the publication and distribution of internal and external newsletters for BAMSI staff, stakeholders, and program participants.
• Coordinate communication across the organization.
• Develop consistent messaging across all platforms and work with senior leaders to ensure compliance with brand standards.
• Bachelor’s Degree with 10+ years of communications, marketing and philanthropy experience within a complex organizational setting. (Masters preferred.)
• Possess a strong and successful track record in fund development. Experience growing a development program within a human service agency preferred.
• Management experience evaluating, directing, and overseeing communications, marketing and fundraising professionals, with demonstrated ability to recruit, develop and motivate a team.
• Demonstrated ability to generate, prioritize and disseminate communications in a strategic and creative manner.
• Proven ability to think strategically, aligning department objectives and strategic plans with BAMSI’s mission.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills.
• Experience with CRM software and digital marketing tools and techniques.
• Strategic leadership skills and big picture perspective, as well as the ability to implement and execute.
• Strong analytical and project management skills. Excellent presentation, communication, interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
• Sense of humor and ability to work collaboratively.