Chief Development Officer
Opportunity Fund is a different kind of financial institution – a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). Over 20 years ago, the US Treasury Department created this designation for loan funds (like Opportunity Fund), credit unions, and others who are committed to using financial tools to help low-income communities.
We provide loans to low- and moderate-income immigrants, women, and other deserving, but underserved small business owners. We have seen firsthand the ripple effect of such loans. Businesses grow, jobs are added, healthier communities and families thrive.
Our mission is to drive economic mobility by delivering affordable capital and responsible financial solutions to determined entrepreneurs and communities.
We continue to drive economic mobility, fostering entrepreneurship, hard work, and ideas. We envision an inclusive world in which all entrepreneurs and communities have the opportunity to make their dreams come true.
In 2020, Opportunity Fund joined forces with Accion U.S. Network to create Accion Opportunity Fund to together provide national, scalable programs that leverage technology and data analytics with high-touch customer service to drive deep community impact. Together, we are building a diverse, vibrant community where opportunity, knowledge, and access to capital are within reach.
For more information about us, visit https://www.opportunityfund.org/about/
Accion Opportunity Fund is seeking an innovative, strategic, and collaborative leader who brings a sophisticated understanding of fundraising, campaign management experience, technological savvy, and passion for our mission. Reporting to the CEO and working closely with the Board of Directors and other members of the Executive Leadership Team, the Chief Development Officer will set, implement and manage a multi-year fundraising plan designed to achieve Accion Opportunity Fund’s goals, institutionalize best practices, and create a “culture of philanthropy” across the entire organization. Accion Opportunity Fund has launched a $100 million campaign and the Chief Development Officer is responsible for leading the campaign plan and management.
The CDO will set fundraising goals and objectives; oversee the development of fundraising strategies; track impact metrics and KPIs; and manage and grow a team focused on individual and major gifts, corporate and foundation giving, partnership development, and government grants. As part of the executive leadership team, the CDO will participate in short- and long-term strategic and operational planning for the organization during a period of significant growth.
The CDO leads a team of 10+ fundraising professionals and partners closely with Finance, Small Business Lending and other Program Directors to build the stream of contributed revenue required to support sustainable high-impact programs.
- Lead planning and execution of Accion Opportunity Fund’s Comprehensive Campaign with a goal of raising over $100M by 2022.
- Lead Accion Opportunity Fund’s efforts to build its base of private support and enhance relationships with the donor community; expand this donor community to reflect Accion Opportunity Fund’s national focus.
- Work directly as the staff liaison to the Board’s fundraising related committee.
- Work with the Board and CEO to develop short- and long-term fundraising goals, strategies, and KPIs to expand funding from existing donors, while also building a strong pipeline of new funders.
- Supervise the creation and implementation of effective cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for corporate, foundation, government and individual funding sources.
- Manage a portfolio of high-value and high-net worth donors and prospects, developing and implementing strategies for successful cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Proactively ensure that Accion Opportunity Fund develops strong, long-term relationships with major and leadership individual and institutional donors; build and maintain key relationships to ensure fund development strategy is achieved, including initiating and closing asks.
- Mobilize Board members to be successful fundraisers through major donor engagement, solicitation, and stewardship; help recruit, train, coach, and motivate Board members and other volunteers to engage in effective solicitations and other coordinated cultivation/stewardship activities.
- In partnership with the CFO, develop and manage fundraising budgets; be accountable for KPIs related to fundraising and revenue goals; supervise gift accounting and processing; and ensure best practice use of analytics, data, and metrics to forecast and track progress and success of fundraising goals, strategies, and tactics.
- Partner with program directors and staff to ensure efficient flow of communication about key program goals and fundraising opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Chief Strategy Officer and team to ensure an integrated and compelling approach to communications and marketing strategies to support fundraising outcomes, including events, annual reports, presentations, press releases, newsletters, etc.
- Collaborate with Chief Operating Officer and Small Business Markets in securing and stewarding impact investors.
- Work jointly with executive leadership and the communications team to create strategic events and thought leadership initiatives to enhance organizational standing and brand with key stakeholders.
- Work with the CIO to identify and implement technology platforms that best serve fundraising activities, including maximizing the utility of Salesforce CRM, social media, research, and analytics.
- Ensure that fundraising activities are carried out in keeping with the organization’s values, mission, vision and plans.
- Function as an organizational leader and a collaborative member of the Executive Leadership Team.
- Build, motivate, lead and retain an advancement team in a structure that is scalable, provides professional growth opportunities, and strategically aligns with identified philanthropic potential.
- Establish annual expectations, provide regular performance reviews and recognition, and support ongoing professional development opportunities for advancement team members.
- Oversee the development of a best in class management and donor relations program designed to strengthen engagement of high-value and high net-worth individuals.
- Provide input on short- and long-term strategic and operational planning and positioning within the organization.
- Nurture a culture of excellence, learning, and continuous improvement.
- Ensure that the right tools and systems are in place to support the work of the fundraising team.
Highly qualified candidates will share Accion Opportunity Fund’s commitment to its mission and will embody the organization’s core values bringing a broad range of skills and experience including, but not limited to:
- Extensive experience in fundraising leadership with deep knowledge of fundraising principles, strategies, techniques, and outcome metrics that span individual, corporate, and foundation giving, as well as government funding.
- Proven success at managing and implementing a comprehensive fund development program and increasing financial results.
- Knowledge and experience in all aspects of philanthropy, including giving trends, benchmarks, and best practices; research; fundraising techniques and strategies; data analytics; and development operations such as gift processing, prospect and donor research, and fundraising reporting.
- Track record of successfully establishing and nurturing effective working relationships with organization leadership, Board members, donors, prospects, and staff.
- Prior success in the development and negotiation of high-level gifts and a track record of building relationships and successful solicitation of six- to seven-figure institutional (corporations and foundation) and individual gifts.
- A minimum of five years of senior management experience in Development.
- Exceptional manager with excellent people skills; proven ability to build, lead, and inspire a diverse team.
- Energy, initiative, creativity, and drive; ability to perform at a high level in a fast-paced environment and manage/supervise multiple projects to meet timelines and deadlines.
- Excellent spoken and written communications skills; goal-oriented and close attention to detail.
- High comfort level with improving systems, analyzing data, and using data and metrics as management tools.
- Passionate advocate for equity, equal access, and economic justice.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, or equivalent knowledge and experience.
Perks & Benefits:
Our mission is what motivates us to come to work each day. We know that happy employees are productive employees, which is why we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
- An environment that values work-life balance.
- 100% company-funded Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability coverage for employees. Family coverage is also available.
- Tax-deferred & Roth 403(B) Retirement Plan with employer match. Employer match increases with tenure.
- Paid vacation (increased with tenure), 13 paid holidays, sick, and family leave days.
- Offices are located in San Jose and Commerce, CA. This position may also be remote.
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply, especially BIPOC.
Opportunity Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer.