Manager, Strategic Partnerships
Results for America (RFA) is the leading, national nonprofit organization helping policymakers at all levels of government harness the power of evidence and data to solve the world’s greatest challenges. Our mission is to make investing in what works the “new normal,” so that, one day, all government leaders use rigorous evidence and quality data to inform important policy and funding decisions. We believe that data-driven and evidence-based policy decisions could significantly increase the impact of the over $1 trillion that governments spend annually to address the needs of the most vulnerable Americans.
Founded in 2012, RFA spent its first three years partnering with policy innovators to build the credibility of evidence-based policymaking, securing early and important wins in education, expanding its work to multiple levels of government and driving awareness and demand through carefully orchestrated education and communication campaigns. During its second phase (2015-2018), RFA worked to demonstrate the power of evidence-based policymaking in ways that resonate with an even broader universe of elected officials and policymakers. Now in its third phase of work, RFA intends to demonstrate that governments at all levels can make faster, more lasting progress in accelerating economic mobility for residents when they use evidence and data in decision-making. By creating specific issue-area wins, RFA will further cement support for evidence-based policymaking among all policymakers as the “new normal.”
Results for America has developed an ambitious fundraising agenda to support its third phase of work and is in the process of exploring and cultivating multi-million dollar opportunities to work with governments across the country to increase their use of data and evidence to drive decision-making and improve resident outcomes. In the immediate term, RFA is working with some of the nation’s largest and most innovative philanthropies, and it is looking to expand its donor base, diversify its funding streams, and build a sustainable model for the organization’s long-term growth. It is also seeking assistance on building a more robust prospect pipeline, creating actionable stewardship plans, and contributing to organization-wide efforts to communicate the impact of its work.
To this end, Results for America is seeking a skilled Manager, Strategic Partnerships to support its 2020 goals and longer-term ambitions. This role will help RFA develop and implement fundraising strategies for all RFA’s programs and initiatives. This position will primarily interact with philanthropic institutions – both foundation and corporate. This involves managing, prioritizing and executing development activities, including identifying prospects, cultivating and retaining funder relationships, developing written proposals and materials for support, and maintaining accurate tracking and record-keeping.
Position Reporting Relationship
The Manager, Strategic Partnerships will report to the Vice President, Strategic Partnerships (VPSP) and work closely with RFA executive team members (CEO and COO), our Senior Fundraising Advisor, program leaders, and the finance and communications teams to develop cultivation strategies and proposals, and cultivate and steward donors.
Position responsibilities will fall into two main buckets – strategic fundraising and fundraising administration. Specific duties will include, but not be restricted to, the following:
Strategic Fundraising (50%)
- Serve as a key member of the development team, helping to drive strategy, relationships, and best practices to accomplish fundraising goals.
- Manage a fundraising portfolio of institutional donors (foundation and corporate) for new and existing RFA projects and initiatives, as designated by the VPSP and Senior Fundraising Advisor, and implement and track day-to-day fundraising operations within this portfolio.
- Move donors through the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship process, including identifying, arranging and attending meetings with the VPSP and executive and program leadership, conducting follow-up, managing correspondence and contact with donors; and serving as key contact for proposal and grant agreement process with donors.
- Work with the VPSP, executive team, and program leaders to identify fundraising opportunities and research new prospects, including preparing briefing materials in advance of meetings for executive team and program leaders.
- Develop concept notes, proposals, presentations, and other collateral materials in coordination with the VPSP, executive team, programs leaders, and communications teams. Create first drafts of proposals and assemble all final proposal materials to ensure high quality, readable, and consistent proposals.
- Develop implementation plans with VPSP and program leaders to ensure a seamless transition from proposal to project implementation, folding in donor stewardship and information-sharing. Includes working with program leaders to create project update memos, slide decks for stewardship meetings, and other collateral materials that demonstrate the impact of our work.
Fundraising Administration: Stewardship & Reporting (30%)
- Write first drafts and finalize grant reports, working with program leaders, communications teams, and finance teams to finalize and submit reports, ensuring compliance with donor requirements and guidelines.
- Work with program leaders and other staff to track deliverable and manage grant modification requests, extensions, and other special reporting requirements.
- Work with VPSP, executive team, and program leaders to maintain and improve upon stewardship of current donors.
Fundraising Administration: Other (20%)
- Serve as “project manager” for the fundraising team, managing tasks and deadlines in online project management system.
- Monitor trends in giving and keeps abreast of programmatic developments for application in fundraising strategies and donor relations.
- Conduct research on new potential sources of funding.
- Represent the organization at internal or external meetings, as requested.
- Update databases maintained by the organization, ensures careful coordination and documentation of fundraising strategy, research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Maintain understanding of relevant research topics and how they may affect and provide fundraising opportunities. Monitors philanthropic trends as they relate generally to RFAs work.
- In coordination with the VPSP, delegate and manage administrative tasks assigned to support staff.
Qualifications and Skills
- Strong commitment to the Results for America mission and vision.
- Bachelor's degree and 5 to 7 years of relevant experience, with a preference for experience working in research and policy organizations/think tanks, government, higher education, advocacy and/or other mission-driven nonprofits.
- Demonstrated track record of success in cultivating and managing grants, ranging from five to six-figure foundation and/or corporate grants.
- Superb writing skills (as well as editing and proofreading), with experience communicating complex policy ideas to prospective donors and other audiences.
- Demonstrated strong research and analytical skills. Ability to investigate an issue, ask thoughtful questions, and recommend possible solutions. Able to build a logical approach to addressing problems by drawing on own knowledge and experience or by seeking other references or resources as appropriate.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to establish and implement systems and identify resources to ensure the successful completion of projects.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with donors, external partners, organizational leadership, and other stakeholders.
- Collegial and team oriented attitude and perspective, with the ability to work independently, quickly and efficiently under pressure in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to think proactively, take initiative, and see tasks through to completion with appropriate follow-up.
- Comfort in working from home and/or in a shared, open-plan office setting.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Salesforce, Asana, Google Suite, and experience using design tools (Adobe Illustrator/InDesign) welcome.
Salary range and benefits package: Competitive. This is a full-time, exempt position at 40 hours per week based in RFA’s Washington, D.C. office. There may be instances where the Manager, Strategic Partnerships, is asked to travel and work additional hours, as needed.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of your email should read “YOUR NAME – Manager, Strategic Partnerships”.
Results for America is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages people from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply for positions within our organization.