Essential Job Functions:
· Writes, reviews, and edits draft copy and produces and submits final proposals and reports;
· Monitors online and print publications for government Requests for Proposals, evaluates them for relevance to Safe Horizon’s mission and programs, and writes RFP summaries for distribution to senior program leaders, as appropriate;
· Researches prospective private foundation grant makers and researches whether and how their funding interests relate to Safe Horizon programs;
· Cultivates relationships with existing and prospective donors through discussion, correspondence, gift acknowledgement, meetings, and tours of Safe Horizon facilities;
· Supports the foundation and government proposal development processes from start to finish, acts as partner and project manager to agency departments through idea development, program planning, proposal, and budget stages;
· Manages key dates relating to these relationships: i.e., pledge payments, stewardship reports, renewal requests, and proposal submission deadlines;
· Tracks and manages report and renewal process, including liaising with program staff to gather narrative and statistical information and with finance staff to ensure timely and accurate post-award reporting;
· Creates gift acknowledgement letters;
· Carries out special projects as requested, including assisting with program development and definition as it relates to new fundraising proposals.
· Stays abreast of industry trends, needs, innovations, and opportunities; develops a deep familiarity with the approach and impact of Safe Horizon and the broader victims’ services context.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Program, research, and finance staff; funders, prospects, and consultants
Required Knowledge and Skills:
· Advanced, superior writing skills – the successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to capture the purpose, importance, and impact of programs and projects with an emphasis on effective structure, grammar, succinctness, and alignment with foundations’ giving interests;
· Strong commitment to Safe Horizon agency values of client-centered practice, anti-racism, and family-centered programming;
· Working knowledge of database usage and reporting, and fluency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook,
· Excellent research and data management skills;
· Strong verbal, interpersonal and communications skills and attention to detail;
· Ability to work independently and under stress, manage a number of demanding and conflicting priorities in order to meet deadlines with well-crafted proposals and reports;
· Strong organization and relationship management skills;
· Background in social justice or human services preferred.
· Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
· Minimum of one year of direct experience in grant writing, preferably from both public and private sources;
· Familiarity with local and national foundation donors and funding trends;
· Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s
rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed,
my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and
with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either
the company or me. I further understand that no
representation, whether oral or written by any representative
or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes
a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information: