Organization Overview The Center for the Study of Social Policy (CSSP) is a national, non-profit public policy, research, and technical assistance organization headquartered in Washington, DC, with offices in New York City and Los Angeles. CSSP works to achieve a racially, socially, and economically just society in which all children, youth, and families thrive.
Job Description CSSP seeks a creative, proactive, and motivated person to join the CSSP communications team at a manager level. The ideal candidate will be well versed in strategic communications and will be expected to manage the creation and implementation of cross-cutting, innovative, effective communications strategies and expanding CSSP’s reach, influence, and audiences through a variety of means. The Communications Manager will work closely with all CSSP program staff to help develop marketing and dissemination strategies for various products, reports, and resources. The ideal candidate will have a strong instinct to innovate and experiment with new ideas, deep working knowledge of current digital marketing best practices, and either a background in or a deep thirst for knowledge about equity and anti-racist intersectional framing of communications.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities The Communications Manager will assist with or be responsible for:
- Managing the overall development and creation of CSSP’s digital content calendar including creating regular content for CSSP’s social media channels (i.e., digital assets, written content, events like Twitter chats, Facebook live events, etc).
- Enhancing and expanding CSSP’s social media presence and outreach to various stakeholders to increase our reach and audience.
- Drafting original content, editing existing content, and assisting with content strategy planning.
- Working with the Communications Coordinator, freelance writers, and CSSP staff and partners to develop, pitch, manage, and produce regular, topical, and timely content for CSSP’s blog and Medium channel.
- Developing marketing strategies for current and existing products, launches, and promotions to grow and amplify CSSP’s profile/reach.
PRESS & PARTNER OUTREACH
- Developing and producing high-quality, informative, and interesting press releases, press kits, and related materials.
- Identifying media and press opportunities, building press lists, pitching products and story ideas, and tracking key players who cover our work.
- Executing a global scan of influence organizations to develop partnerships with like-minded (and unusual) organizations that will further CSSP’s reach and influence.
- Developing weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual activity reports that assess the success of our efforts.
- Maintaining and upholding CSSP’s branding and messaging guidelines in all digital and printed materials.
- Providing communications support to other departments, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Communications or CSSP leadership.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Experience The successful candidate will have:
- Commitment to equity and reducing disparities based on race, ethnicity, immigration status, sovereignty, gender, sexual orientation/gender identity, disability, and socioeconomic status.
- 5-7 years of experience working in a similar or related position, non-profit experience preferred.
- Deep competence in writing, editing, and editorial strategy. Ability to take a concept from pitch meeting to dissemination.
- Experience and a successful track record of pitching work and stories to a broad audience including press, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Experience managing staff and consultants.
- Experience growing and assessing social media channels and executing social media strategy for maximum engagement, particularly for mission-driven non-profits.
- Fluency and experience in standard Microsoft office tools, design software (Adobe CS/Canva), Wordpress or similar, social media management/monitoring tools, Constant Contact or similar.
- Experience creating compelling, engaging, creative, and ROI-driven digital content.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure, with multiple projects and competing deadlines under limited timelines. A high level of motivation, creativity, and proactivity.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
Starting salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits provided including short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, health insurance, retirement benefits, generous vacation, and sick and holiday leave. CSSP is an equal opportunity employer that values and is enriched by diversity. We center equity in all our work and in our hiring practices, and so strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+/gender non-conforming, and disabled people to apply. Remote work for this job is available during the COVID-19 pandemic, with the expectation that the ideal candidate will begin working in the Washington, DC office as soon as or shortly after our office re-opens.
How to Apply Qualified applicants should send cover letter with resume and writing sample to email@example.com (subject: Your Name - Communications Manager). In your cover letter, please be sure to indicate where you found this position announcement. Applicants accepted until January 31, 2021 or until position is filled.