Since its founding in 1985, La Luz Center (LLC) has become the primary resource in Sonoma Valley for disadvantaged families seeking opportunities to improve their lives and achieve economic self-sufficiency. The La Luz Center is a hub and sanctuary for those seeking assistance with basic needs but also offers enhanced programs that further support economic advancement, personal empowerment and engagement in the community.
While La Luz Center programs and services are available to all in need, Latinx families represent our largest client population. La Luz bilingual services and community outreach activities primarily serve low income clients and have been particularly vital during the past 4 years when immigration issues, wildfires and the pandemic have converged on our community. Many of our clients are employed in industries that drive the economic vitality in the Valley and yet were hardest hit by these events—tourism, hospitality and the agricultural sector.
The broad range of services at La Luz are delivered directly through LLC programs and through strong partnerships with other local, County, State and Federal organizations providing health, education, legal, employment training, and disaster relief services.
FAMILY SERVICES PROGRAMS
Ensures residents in Sonoma Valley can improve their lives and strengthen their families by providing easily accessible family services, effective child-parent development programs, and culturally relevant mental health services.
ECONOMIC ADVANCEMENT PROGRAMS
Builds a pathway to a strong middle class through skill building programs that level the economic playing field for low-income families and through financing small business and entrepreneurial ventures in Sonoma Valley.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PROGRAMS
Engages Sonoma Valley residents in building a resilient and more inclusive community through community-civic activities that strengthen communications and connection between the Latinx and broader community.
The La Luz Center campus is located in the Sonoma Springs community. La Luz also operates a Family Resource Center (FRC) at El Verano elementary school, an early childhood education program (AVANCE) at Hanna Boys Center and service hubs at affordable housing centers. La Luz hosts community events (live and remote) that celebrate Latinx history and culture to help build cultural bridges and mutual understanding and a unified sense of community throughout the entire Sonoma Valley. The LLC Community Engagement team also actively participates in community initiatives to advocate and ensure the priorities of Latinx and low-income families are represented.
POSITION OVERVIEW: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (ED)
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and has responsibility for planning and directing all functions and day to day operations of the organization: Fundraising, Financial Management, Organizational Development, Community Relations and Outreach, Staffing and Human Resources, Operations and Administration and Board Relations.
Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the ED helps set the mission, vision and values of the organization. This includes working with the Board to develop the strategic plan and direction for the organization. The ED is responsible for implementation plans and keeping the Board informed of progress on strategic plan milestones.
A primary ED responsibility is establishing a strong partnership with the Board and Staff to secure sustainable income sources and deliver relevant programs to ensure the economic well-being and advancement of families in Sonoma Valley. A top priority of the new ED will be to develop the staff and infrastructure to increase the impact of new and existing programs, while maintaining responsiveness to changing community needs and preserving the core principles of hope, empathy, passion and love for community that are central to the organization’s identity and success.
- Ensure financial sustainability through increased revenue and sound financial management
- Build and retain a talented, lean and highly effective staff team
- Establish a strong open and collaborative partnership with the Board of Directors
- Strengthen the visibility, credibility, and leadership of La Luz within the Latinx and broader community
- Align and enhance programs and services to meet evolving community needs
- Expand systems and infrastructure to deliver data-driven measurement of activities and outcomes
- Identify, cultivate and secure charitable gifts and private and governmental grants
- Enhance and expand personal relationships with donors, volunteers, partners, community leaders and other non profits
- Oversee all functions to ensure compliance with 501(c)(3) non profit status and all other legal and governmental regulations and reporting requirements
- Keep the Board informed of progress on strategic plan implementation, evolving community needs and LLC activities and program results
- Represent the needs of the Latinx community in local decision and policy making
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Board President
The LLC Executive Director will be an experienced, dynamic, bilingual and bicultural leader with exceptional interpersonal skills. They will be a team builder with expertise in fundraising, organizational development, financial and program management and community relations. They will exhibit excellent communication skills and a collaborative management style. They will bring examples of successes with building a talented staff, strong partnerships and collaborative Board relationships.
Successful candidates will demonstrate a connection with La Luz Center’s mission and enthusiasm for the work of LLC. They will have broad understanding of the issues facing Latinx families as well as a deep appreciation for the history and contributions of the Latinx community.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Fluency in English and Spanish with excellent written and verbal communications skills in both languages
- Deep understanding of and passion for Latinx culture and experience
- Previous executive-level leadership experience in a similar, mission-driven nonprofit environment
- Fundraising expertise with a successful track record in income generation through personal cultivation of donor relationships and in the securing of foundation and government grants
- History of community involvement and activism
- Minimum of 3 years of successful senior management experience
- Record of success in achieving organizational goals and financial growth
- Proven people and team management skills with examples of coaching and mentoring successes
- Budgeting and financial management skills in an organization funded by grants and donor contributions
- Leadership effectiveness across ethnic, cultural, and racial backgrounds and socio-economic levels
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Sound understanding of Salesforce.com platform and the utilization of CRM and donor management systems
- Digital proficiency (computer software, social media, Zoom and conferencing applications)
- Experience managing staff and programs in remote or semi-remote environments
- Practical knowledge of disaster preparation and disaster relief management
OTHER DESIRED CHARACTERISTICS:
- Outgoing and Energetic Personality
- Strategic thinker
- Notable communication and listening skills
- Compassionate and inspirational
All inquiries or referrals will be held in confidence. La Luz Center is an equal opportunity employer. A diverse workforce, teamwork and an inclusive culture are core values.
Please direct your electronic cover letter, resume (with at least three references), an explanation of how you meet the skills and experience listed above, and contact information to:
Director of Finance and Administration
After receipt and review of your application, you will be contacted about your candidacy and next steps, if appropriate.
Please note that reference checks will be completed on all final candidates. All education, dates of employment, compensation and other information provided will be verified prior to any offer of employment.