Associate Director of the Fund for Lyric
REPORTS TO: Director of the Fund for Lyric
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
Through artistic excellence coupled with innovative, relevant programming; initiatives to connect with and grow new audiences; engagement with communities to ignite creativity across Chicago; and a modernized Opera House that is the setting for truly great experiences, Lyric is leading the advancement of opera. This collaborative vision will deliver ever more exciting, thought-provoking and inclusive audience and community experiences – while increasing the gravitational pull of our art form, our company, and our city.
The Fund for Lyric consists of all direct-response fundraising programs at Lyric Opera of Chicago. The Associate Director is responsible for retaining, increasing, acquiring, and reactivating donor support by executing Lyric’s multi-channel solicitation appeals through mail, phone, and electronic platforms.
The Associate Director of the Fund for Lyric will execute direct-response appeals for two key donor societies, the Friends of Lyric ($50-$4,999) and the Patrons of Lyric ($5,000-$24,999). Additionally, the Associate Director will serve as a general contact point for Patrons and will partner with philanthropy officers in developing opportunities to cultivate and steward this society of donors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate leadership in accordance with Lyric’s mission and vision.
- Execute a consistent, multi-channel rhythm of communications to Patrons throughout the season, including high-touch proposal mailings, stewardship messaging, impact reporting, etc.
- Manage a portfolio of mid-level donors to sustain and increase operating support.
- Partner with philanthropy officers to develop new opportunities to engage Patron society donors with the art form and cultivate personal relationships to build a sense of community within the society.
- Conduct regular prospect analysis, ensuring that Patrons are receiving appropriate relationship management.
- Partner with Lyric’s Digital staff in maximizing the reach and depth of our fundraising appeals by incorporating email, video, social media, and website presence into traditional fundraising appeals.
- Conduct an annual assessment of the Fund for Lyric’s donor engagement opportunities with the aim of creating new and engaging experiences for donors or retiring options that do not advance donor support.
- Steward donor inquiries as the primary email and phone contact for inquiries about Lyric’s Patron donor society.
- Other duties as assigned.
- As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Demonstrated track record of executing a comprehensive annual giving program with clearly outlined gift levels and donor benefits.
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional fundraising experience with a minimum of two (2) years in annual giving.
- Strong project management and organizational competencies with demonstrated aptitude for multitasking, attention to detail, and meeting competing and overlapping deadlines.
- Experiencing managing a portfolio of donors, including cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding through in-person and direct response communications.
- Proficiency with Tessitura (preferred) or an equivalent donor CMS.
- Experience is marketing and soliciting donors through direct-response platforms.
- Demonstrated experience with extractions, plans, promotions, and reporting, preferably in Tessitura.
- Strengths in creative and analytical thinking, problem solving, and customer service.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of team in a collaborative and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends throughout the season may be required.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
- Must be able to work remotely through at least June 30, 2021.
The Lyric Opera of Chicago is committed to enhancing our diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Lyric does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.