Director of Philanthropy & Partnerships
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is looking for a partnerships and fundraising innovator in the tech & data for good space to join our senior management team as HOT’s first Director of Partnerships and Philanthropy. You should have a proven track record of securing 5, 6, and 7+ figure major gifts. Reporting to HOT’s Executive Director, you’ll join six Directors and Senior Managers supporting the HOT staff team and community to achieve our Audacious Project vision. This role takes on two major areas of work for HOT across partnerships and philanthropic giving and is composed of two sub-teams; a Partnerships team and a Philanthropy team. The position supervises nine staff members and is work-from-anywhere as long as your working hours can overlap with the US Eastern and Central Europe time zones.
- Philanthropic Giving: You’d be a great fit for the role if you’ve led fundraising for a non-traditional (especially a majority virtual!) nonprofit, movement, or campaign. Think: less gala dinner and more Wikipedia-style digital giving. Strong personal networks with major philanthropic donors globally are an asset.
- Partnerships: You’ll nurture strategic relationships with partner organizations who enable impact and drive financial sustainability. These relationships span fee-for-service data collection and training consultancies in HOT’s Humanitarian Data Programs, corporate social responsibility volunteering engagements, strategic partnerships with technology companies, supporting our local NGO partners in the OpenStreetMap ecosystem, and relationships with international humanitarian and development agencies.
Key Results in Year 1
HOT’s overall budget is expected to be approximately $9-13m USD per year through 2025. The Director of Partnerships and Philanthropy will support partnerships and giving that generate approximately $3m by mid-2021 growing to a $6m target by 2025, ensuring HOT remains a financially sustainable and high-impact organization for those we serve.
Leadership and Management
- Inspire, motivate, and challenge staff through active, ongoing mentorship and training.
- Provide strategic direction so that HOT can become the go-to organisation for humanitarian data, ensuring data has a tangible impact in support of the SDGs.
- Foster an environment that supports new ideas and innovative approaches to giving.
- Collaborate with other HOT program departments to identify needs, draft compelling narratives, and effectively manage donor and prospect relationships.
- Work closely with HOT’s Executive Director in cultivating and managing high-value donor relationships.
- Develop easy to visualize reports and dashboards for HOT’s Board and leadership team.
- Pilot new tactical approaches in Year 1 and develop a longer-term strategy for Years 2 and beyond.
- Develop and implement an innovative approach for individual giving that goes beyond HOT’s annual crowdfunding campaigns, which may include major gifts, planned gifts, peer-to-peer approaches, etc. as we devote more significant resources to these areas.
- Develop a donor database / single “360 degree” view of our donors by integrating donor data from Quickbooks and Salesforce; keeping us organized and improving regular touchpoints and thank-yous.
- Grow individual giving 100% year over year (from approximately $30k USD in 2019).
Corporate and Foundation Giving
- Together with the team, iterate on HOT’s corporate partnerships strategy to grow corporate giving by 50% year over year.
- Expand HOT’s relationships with charitable and family foundations beyond HOT’s Audacious Project donors to deliver outstanding value to our donors.
- Manage a portfolio of major gift and corporate prospects and donors, develop individualized plans for each, and personally participate in grantwriting and soliciting gifts.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Support and grow HOT’s global partnerships with several dozen organizations with whom HOT partners to provide map data, training, and technical advice. This spans sectors including strategic technology partners such as Facebook and Microsoft and development partners like the World Bank, Red Cross Movement organizations, and MSF.
- Through shared value partnerships, contribute to HOT’s goals around mapping an area home to 250m people by mid-2021 and dramatically increasing local map edits.
- Guide the work of a Proposal Development manager, participating in writing and overseeing the submission of approximately 4-5 competitive fee-for-service proposals per month.
Supporting HOT partners
- Develop the capacity of four regional hubs to lead on funding opportunities and together with HOT’s Head of Partnerships and Regional Directors ensure decentralized partnership relationship management at a regional level.
- In coordination with HOT’s Head of Community, develop an approach for supporting fundraising needs of OpenStreetMap community groups in 94 priority countries, contributing to more sustainable OpenStreetMap ecosystems.
All HOT salaries globally are set according to a framework detailed on our website. HOT offers a work-from-anywhere culture, flexible working arrangements, a variety of health care options, 401k retirement savings plans, and 24 days of annual leave for all full-time employees, in addition to 12 paid holidays.