Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Location: San Francisco Bay Area (Fairfield), California
About International Bird Rescue – www.birdrescue.org
Imagine a world in which every person, every day, acted to protect the natural home of wildlife and ourselves. In 1971 after 800,000 gallons of crude oil spilled into San Francisco Bay, concerned individuals led by a registered nurse named Alice Berkner jumped into action, bringing International Bird Rescue to life. We have always had to pave a road where there is none. Staff and volunteers work with tenacity alongside clients, partners, and the public to find solutions. Today, we research best practices at our crisis response hospitals in California and Alaska and share them worldwide. Our mission is to inspire people to act toward balance with the natural world by rescuing waterbirds in crisis. We run two full-time wildlife hospitals and one turnkey wildlife emergency response facility and train wildlife first responders around the world.About the Position
International Bird Rescue is seeking a dynamic and strategic individual to take on the exciting task of increasing and mobilizing resources to support our local and global programs. We are a well-established and evolving nonprofit in the animal welfare/environmental sector with a successful 50-year history. While we have been successful in raising ~$2 million annually in grants and donations, our future programmatic goals will require a more proactive and strategic approach to relationship building and fundraising. The Development Manager will leverage this past success and drive Bird Rescue’s next stage of growth by bringing energy and best practices to our fundraising activities.
The Development Manager will orchestrate all development activities, from managing a small team, to building and managing a pipeline of individual donors, to growing revenue from a portfolio of corporations and foundations, to managing an annual event strategy, to working with the Board and staff to create concrete fundraising plans and guiding them to success. Additionally, the role will establish and maintain an inclusive working environment with diverse staff, be energized and resourceful, and interact with team members, donors, and supporters with warmth and integrity. Finally, the ideal candidate will be a passionate supporter of Bird Rescue’s work, and will enjoy leveraging our strengths to secure a sustainable financial future for the organization.
This is a full-time position that reports to and works in partnership with the Executive Director. The Development Manager will supervise the Grants Consultant and Annual Giving Associate, and will have the opportunity to build the team further to meet the long-term strategy.Responsibilities
- Manage a comprehensive and diversified strategy to sustain and grow the revenue base of Bird Rescue, including annual giving, major gifts, institutional and corporate giving, special events and gifts in kind.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Board Chair to organize and support their fundraising efforts through prospect research, scheduling, preparing for cultivation meetings, and preparing follow-up.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit a portfolio of individual donors, ensuring proper communication and follow-up throughout the cultivation process.
- Manage a set of annual fundraising events that builds community and helps expand our pipeline of supporters.
- Oversee a Grants Consultant and help drive a strategy that sustains and grows our portfolio of institutional funders.
- Process and maintain gifts-in-kind, which represent ~$500K in contributions annually.
- Manage a team of motivated, inspired staff to fulfill organizational goals, including contractors.
- Engage the Advancement Committee and Board of Directors in fundraising efforts.
- Become an expert on Bird Rescue programs and share the impact of our work with donors in authentic and compelling ways.
- Identify new opportunities for revenue and drive efficiencies.
- 5+ years of fundraising experience, with a proven track record of closing gifts and reaching revenue targets.
- Exceptional communication and relationship building skills geared toward diverse audiences including corporate clients, foundation and individual donors.
- Insights and expertise on the philanthropic landscape in the West Coast (San Francisco Bay-Delta and Greater Los Angeles).
- Knowledge of environmental and wildlife issues, particularly in relation to ocean health.
- Solid experience with donor databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge and/or Salesforce.
- A passion for our mission and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Team player who enjoys supporting and collaborating with colleagues.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
Currently flexible, but once it is safe, we expect the position to be based 2-3 days/week at our wildlife center in Fairfield, CA. Occasional travel to our wildlife center in San Pedro is required (once it is safe to travel).Compensation and Start Date
This full-time position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, flexible work hours, collaborative work environment, and a benefits package that includes generous vacation, health insurance, and other benefits.To Apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that explains 1) why International Bird Rescue’s mission excites you, and 2) why you’re a perfect fit for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Philanthropy Manager” AND YOUR NAME in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Qualified applicants only.
International Bird Rescue is committed to representing the diverse populations of bird lovers in the world. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization.For more information, please visit:
Apply for Philanthropy Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly