Founded in 1921 by Franklin. D. Roosevelt, the Netherland-America Foundation (NAF) is a foundation initiating and supporting cultural, educational, and business exchange between the Netherlands and the United States. The NAF provides Fulbright Fellowships, internship programs, a student loan program and programs in the arts, business, public policy, and historic preservation. The NAF raises funding through special events, membership contributions, grants, and general donations to support its mission and growing programs.
Now in its centennial year, the NAF is looking to hire an enthusiastic Development Director to spearhead development efforts for the NAF. Reporting to, and in partnership with, the Executive Director, the Development Director will oversee and manage fundraising efforts for the NAF by building and maintaining strong and lasting relationships with donors, sponsors, members, volunteers, board members and constituents. Successful candidates will be able to translate the vision of the NAF into a compelling case for financial support, meeting both short- and long-term fundraising objectives.
- 5+ years (minimum) experience in fundraising
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred
- Knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising, track record of securing major and planned gifts
- Ability to establish collegial, effective working relationships and partner with staff and volunteers.
- Embrace the mission of the NAF, be able articulate a strong case for support and represent the NAF to a variety of constituent groups.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required, as is computer proficiency
- Desire to get out of the office (when travel restrictions are lifted) and build external relationships
- “Self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls
- Organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening skills
- Dutch–American experience, language skills, or affinity is preferred
- Comfortable operating in a small (3-4 person) office setting.
- Meet current and prospective donors on a continual basis to establish effective communications, communicate our vision and solicit support
- Achieve short- and long-term revenue goals
- Create and submit monthly reports on revenue and activity
- Grow a major gifts program through identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors and planned giving prospects
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives
- Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives
- Coordinate fundraising special events
- Oversee prospect research
- Work closely with Board Committees and volunteers
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about the Netherlands and US with the communities
- Staff Board Development Committee meetings
- Upgrade fundraising software, process and tracking systems. Develop metrics and a dashboard to track effectiveness
- Implement best practices in fundraising, leveraging online tools and social media to increase efficiency and include our younger constituents
- Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Build the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Application Deadline: February 15, 2021
Tentative Start Date: April 1, 2021
Location: Mid-town Manhattan
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position – however, if a part-time position (minimum of 25 hours/week) is preferred, this will be considered for the right candidate. Additional Medical and retirement benefits are available after tenure.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume outlining your interest in the NAF in a single pdf to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Netherland-America Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer: the NAF provides equal access and equal opportunity in employment and services and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, ancestry, national origin, pregnancy, age, political affiliation, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, or physical ability.
Apply for Development Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly