Director of Development
National Center for Law and Economic Justice
Title: Director of Development
Report to: Executive Director
Exempt Salary Range: $125-150,000 commensurate with experience
Location: NYC (currently working remotely)
The National Center for Law and Economic Justice (NCLEJ) fights to bring about its vision of a country in which the fundamental needs of all residents are met and in which unfair economic constraints imposed upon marginalized individuals and communities are eliminated. We are an expanding organization that partners with other litigation and advocacy organizations, grass roots and community organizations, and individuals to fight for racial and economic justice for public benefits recipients, low-wage workers, persons with disabilities, and individuals and communities denied full access to economic growth and prosperity.
Development Director’s role:
Following a successful transition to a new Executive Director, NCLEJ seeks to reinstate the position of in-house Development Director, after using the services of an outside consultant during the transition. The Director will attend meetings of the Board of Directors and work closely with the Executive Director, Board members, and staff. The Director will be a member of the Senior Management Team (Executive Director, Director of Litigation and Advocacy, Financial and Administrative Director, and Communications Director). The Director will be responsible for building a diverse, strong and expanding base of funding from individuals, foundations, law firms, corporations, and special events.
- Shape NCLEJ's fundraising vision by creating, implementing and monitoring a comprehensive development strategy with the ambitious goal of doubling donations from all sources from $2.5 million to $5 million within five years.
- Significantly increase giving by individual donors, including current donors, and work closely with the Executive Director and Board to pursue transformative gifts.
- Develop and implement strategies for identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship for all types and levels of donors.
- Develop and write proposals to foundations, and write reports for grants received.
- Grow current partnerships with law firms, and forge new collaborations with law firms and corporations to increase revenue.
- Develop and implement a successful digital fundraising strategy, partnering with the Communications Director.
- Supervise members of the development team, including consultants and future employees.
- Use writing, speaking and editing skills to create powerful and persuasive cases for support. Collaborate with staff and Communications Director to identify needs and draft compelling narratives.
- Assist in planning and implementing a capital campaign.
- Advise on Board recruitment to the goal of enhancing revenue growth.
Qualifications and experience of the ideal candidate:
- Have a deep commitment to, and understanding of, racial and economic justice issues. Have experience with fundraising for social justice causes.
- Be a talented leader with a demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Have expertise in foundations, major gifts, annual campaigns, or direct mail.
- Have exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Have excellent organizational skills and be able to multi-task and prioritize while remaining on top of details.
- Have facility with spreadsheets, Microsoft Office Suite, and database management.
- Be comfortable developing and navigating budgets and be familiar with basic non-profit financial and reporting practices.
- Have experience working with senior management and boards of directors, ideally in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic work environment.
- Have experience managing others, and a strong ability to recruit, train, mentor, and motivate development staff.
Benefits: NCLEJ has a generous benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; paid vacation and sick days; an FSA Plan; and contributions to a 403(b) plan.
Equal opportunity: NCLEJ is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.
Application process: Please submit a resume and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document. All submissions should be emailed to email@example.com with “Director of Development” in the subject line.