Director of Major Gifts
Founded in 2002, Operation Homefront is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to build strong, stable and secure military families. Operation Homefront is sourcing candidates for a Director of Major Gifts position. This position will primarily cover the east coast and can be located in the mid-Atlantic or work virtually.
The Director of Major Gifts is responsible for developing strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors with special focus on six figure multi-year gifts to support Operation Homefront’s $80M Comprehensive Campaign. This position has direct impact on the department’s reputation among Individual Donors, Foundation and Corporate sponsors, as well as impacts the financial and operational performance of the department.
Desired candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree (Graduate degree preferred).
- Demonstrated experience, success, and progressive responsibility in fundraising with a minimum of seven to ten years of experience.
- Experience securing and conducting personal face-to-face visits on a semi-regular basis to qualify, engage, solicit, and steward major donors and prospects.
- Ability to set goals strategically and oversee execution.
- High level of discretion and an ethical approach to fundraising.
- Proven ability to interact with and influence philanthropic leaders.
- Experience motivating and managing high-profile volunteer leadership and senior executives.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with various internal and external constituents.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in database management, Microsoft Office Suite, and other computer skills, as required. Experience with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge and WealthEngine a plus.
- Passion for Operation Homefront’s mission to help build strong, stable, and secure military families so they can thrive, not merely struggle to get by, in the communities they have worked so hard to protect.
- Valid driver’s license & insurance and/or reliable transportation required for out-of-office travel as required by the position.
Typical duties include:
- In conjunction with the VP Individual Giving and Campaigns, leading departmental portfolio review process and being a partner in maintaining an organized system for donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Managing the Comprehensive Campaign Individual Major Gift Pipeline on a monthly basis adjusting the annual forecast based on the current environment.
- Personally overseeing portfolio of 150-200 donors and prospects with capacity to give from $50k - $250k.
- Establishing processes and procedures for donor relationships and moving management for department, including identification; qualification through research; cultivation; briefing; request for support; and prompt follow up, stewardship, and recognition.
- Developing individual donor strategies, along with materials, to renew and upgrade donor gifts.
- Directly supporting Senior Executive Team and Campaign Committee volunteers to prospect, prepare for meeting and steward high net worth donors.
- Working with Public Relations and the Executive Office, overseeing campaign events planning and execution.
- Collaborating with the Marketing, Communications and Corporate & Foundations Development Teams to enhance relationships and create greater fundraising and outreach possibilities.
- Working collaboratively to help train and guide other channel fundraisers to cultivate and steward major gifts.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by Vice President, Individual Giving & Campaigns.
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day. The candidate selected for employment will be required to submit to a criminal background check, motor vehicle record check, and education verification.