Director of Planned Giving - Estate and Gift Planning (REMOTE)
Are you looking for ways to use your Planned Giving expertise to live out your values/faith? Open Doors USA is hiring!
Position: Director of Planned Giving
Location: We prefer for this position to be based in California, but we are happy to consider remote employment from anywhere in the U.S. for the right candidate.
Open Doors provides Bibles, emergency aid, food and shelter, job training, literacy classes, safe houses and other critical support to Christians living in the world's most difficult places. We seek to help people who are harassed, kicked out of their communities, physically assaulted, unjustly imprisoned, raped and even killed as a result of their Christian faith. For more than six decades, we have also worked to strengthen churches to help them survive and thrive to serve our world and advance the gospel in volatile regions.
Open Doors is also a passionate community—made up of many staff, board members, field representatives and supporters--who stand against persecution together.To learn more about our organization, we invite you to read more at http://www.odusa.org
Who we’re looking for:
An experienced Planned Giving professional who will design and implement a comprehensive and innovative Planned Giving strategy for Open Doors USA. S/he will direct and coordinate all phases of Planned Giving within the Development Department including building, stewarding and cultivating a portfolio of prospects and donors to support Open Doors' strategic plan. We're looking for someone to take this program to the next level as our organization grows!
This position will:
- Work closely with department leaders to design Planned Giving strategy and goals, and develop metrics for success.
- Be accountable for budgeting, managing personnel, tracking and meeting key performance metrics.
- Be responsible for increasing the number of planned-giving prospects for cultivation and solicitation.
- Seek to consistently grow the inventory and income from gifts made through bequests, trusts, charitable gift annuities, stocks, and other planned-giving arrangements.
- Ensure planned-giving donors receive consistent recognition and cultivation through phone calls, personal visits, events, video conferences, mailings, e-mails and other creative communication touches.
- Create personalized illustrations of planned gifts and multi-media proposals for prospects.
- Collaborate with the Communications Department to develop and execute a communications plan that employs the latest and most effective technology and tactics to promote planned gifts.
- Work with the Finance Department to align work with best practices and planned-giving rules and regulations, policies and procedures, gift and donor analysis and reporting.
- Educate Ministry Advancement and Development Team members on creative, proven ways to incorporate planned gift elements into major gift efforts.
- Manage projects and outside consultants and vendors effectively.
- Update planned giving information in Salesforce database on a regular basis.
- Christ follower with a passion to serve persecuted Christians.
- Proven success record in managing a planned giving department for non-profit organizations.
- Excellent management and communication skills with a strong ability to delegate and follow up on tasks and projects.
- Thorough knowledge of all planned giving vehicles and best practices, donor prospecting and cultivation, and creative stewardship.
- Strong strategic thinking skills and the ability to develop effective planned giving engagement and solicitation strategies for a diverse group of individual donors.
- Working knowledge of current federal (IRS) and states’ rules and regulations governing charitable estate planning.
- Understanding of and ability to apply marketing concepts and techniques, including market research and segmentation.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills, and ability to work effectively with varied constituencies, including sophisticated donors, Board of Directors and volunteers.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills, including ability to make engaging presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required. Master’s degree a plus.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Planned Giving.
- Ability to travel within the US. After pandemic travel restrictions lift, this position may require up to 40% travel.
- Advanced Microsoft Office software skills (including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of Salesforce and Crescendo, a plus.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to do meaningful work that truly makes a difference
- The chance to be part of a passionate, vibrant and caring team
- Excellent benefits that include medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents with no current employee contribution required.
- Beautiful work environment
- 403(b) w/employer contributions
- Paid time off
We can't wait to meet the person whose passion, skills and experience make them the right fit for our team!