Associate Director of Development - Graduate College and Knowledge Exchange for Resilience
Associate Director of Development – Graduate College and Knowledge Exchange for Resilience
ASU Foundation, one of five nonprofit entities that make up ASU Enterprise Partners, is seeking an innovative and creative Associate Director of Development for the Graduate College and Knowledge Exchange for Resilience. ASU’s Graduate College, led by Vice Provost and Dean Elizabeth Wentz, is dedicated to enriching and advancing the graduate school experience for all students and building a student-centered culture with a commitment to inclusion and innovation. Also led by Vice Provost and Dean Wentz, and launched in 2018 in partnership with the Virginia G. Piper trust with an initial $15M investment, the Knowledge Exchange for Resilience’s mission is to support Maricopa County, AZ by working with community partners (e.g., nonprofits, businesses, municipalities) in sharing knowledge to build community resilience.
The associate director of development is a dynamic fundraising professional who works collaboratively with the Vice President of Unit Development at the ASU Foundation for A New American University (ASUF) and to build a strategy for identifying, launching, and growing new and innovative development opportunities within both ASU’s Graduate College and the Knowledge Exchange for Resilience. The principal activity of this professional development officer is to be externally focused, with responsibility for engaging a portfolio or individuals (both alumni and non-alumni) foundations, and corporations that have a potential affinity with ASU’s Graduate College and/or the Knowledge Exchange for Resilience. With a proven track-record of success within the development field, the associate director will report to the ASUF Vice President of Unit Development, has a liaison reporting line to the vice provost and dean, and works closely and collaboratively with development colleagues across the university.
What you'll do:
- Work with development colleagues, volunteers and academic leaders to identify, cultivate and solicit annual, major and planned gifts
- Work closely with the vice president of unit development alongside academic leaders to support fundraising priorities of the vice provost and dean.
- Foster successful fundraising by setting up the vice provost and dean for success and guiding others to participate effectively in development activities
- Oversee the college’s stewardship efforts
- Proactively build and manage a portfolio of annual and major gift prospects regionally and nationally, developing and executing strategies leading to solicitation and investment that leverage the donor’s interests and connects them to the opportunities of interest
- Develop and submit written proposals, budgets, and other collateral materials as needed for securing philanthropic investments
- Be responsible for core fundraising metrics including high impact contacts with prospects, identification of new prospects, major gift opportunities submitted, and funds raised
- Collaborate with various ASUF offices and functions -- including corporate and foundation relations, estate and gift planning, donor relations, research and prospect management, financial services, annual giving, and development – to advance prospect strategies and use the ASUF prospect management and tracking system
- Participate, as a member of the ASUF development team, in development activities on a university level and serve as a resource to development colleagues regarding fundraising opportunities and priorities
- Work in a fast-paced, results oriented environment with complex and evolving relationships and priorities
- Assume other duties as assigned
Who we are:
ASU Enterprise Partners is a private, nonprofit organization based in Tempe, Arizona, that serves as the resource-raising arm of Arizona State University. We represent a new, innovative and highly efficient model for diversified revenue generation, serving five distinct subsidiaries that provide support for ASU:
- ASU Foundation matches donors with their passions by raising and investing private contributions to ASU programs, faculty and students.
- University Realty LLC cultivates and advances commercial and residential real estate projects to support ASU.
- Skysong Innovations, ASU Enterprise Partners’ technology transfer, creates a pipeline between ASU and Northern Arizona University inventions and the private sector.
- Enterprise Collaboratory at ASU equips faculty, staff and students to launch innovative and impactful initiatives rapidly.
- ASU Research Enterprise conducts applied research and consults for classified and midrange technology-readiness-level (TRL) services for the defense and security industry.
We employ a diverse team engaged in meaningful work, including fundraisers, designers, scholars, financial wizards, filmmakers, inventors, entrepreneurs and volunteers. Each member brings a different perspective to our vision, yet we share a mission to advance the most innovative university in the country.
Advance your career, too. Professional development is highly valued at ASU Enterprise Partners, where employees are encouraged to look across the organization and nurture new areas of interest. Roles often shift as passions are discovered.
Employees and eligible dependents enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan; and significant tuition reductions. More information is available about our benefits at: https://www.asuenterprisepartners.org/careers/benefits.
Learn more about us at https://asuenterprisepartners.org/.
Skills & Requirements
What you’ll need:
- Collaborative style, combined with the ability and desire to work in a team-based environment
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of development/fundraising
- Strong and collegial interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing, and by phone
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Self starter able to secure personal appointments and qualify new prospects
- Demonstrated achievement in securing philanthropic investments
- Problem solver who can take initiative and set priorities while being flexible
- Team-oriented strategist able to effectively manage complex situations involving numerous and sometimes competing constituencies
- Ability to represent the institution well
- An advocate’s belief in the vision of ASU as the New American University
- An awareness of the unique nature of graduate school fundraising
- Ability to prepare complex and detailed proposals and related materials
- Attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and comfortable working in donor/prospect computer data base systems
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and responsibility regarding information related to Foundation and University business and confidential prospect information
- Documented success in personally implementing sophisticated, multi-year cultivation strategies that use a relationship-building and moves management approach leading to successful gift closure
- Adept at navigating complex environments with evolving priorities and communication plans
- Demonstrable experience in stewardship plans leading to additional investments
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include early mornings, evenings and weekends to accommodate meetings and events
- Ability to meet demanding work schedule expectations
- Willingness to travel
Bachelor’s degree required with a graduate degree preferred and four to six successful professional development and/or fundraising related experience of increasing complexity: OR, any equivalent combinations of education and/or experiences from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been achieved.
Contact us today.
ASU Enterprise Partners offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan and reduced tuition at ASU.
For more information on ASU Enterprise Partners, please visit our web site at www.asuenterprisepartners.org.
If interested in the Director of Development for the ASU Graduate College and Knowledge Exchange for Resilience please apply online at www.asuenterprisepartners.org/careers.
ASU Enterprise Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer .
- The ASU Foundation is a private non-profit organization that identifies, encourages and engages private supporters to advance the success of Arizona State University as a New American University.
- The foundation works with donors to determine their motivations and aspirations and matches those passions with investment opportunities at ASU.
- We especially welcome candidates who are eager to apply best practices in fundraising towards cultivating a culture of philanthropy throughout the ASU community.