Senior Database Manager, Healthcare Foundation (Valhalla, NY)
Summary of Position
WMCHealth is seeking a highly skilled individual with a strong interest in healthcare for the position of Sr. Database Manager. The Sr. Database Manager will be responsible for supporting fundraising and donor engagement strategies for the 6 Network foundations of the WMCHealth Network through the management of our constituent database, Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack (NPSP), and other applications including Marketing Cloud, Classy, Fonteva, DonorSearch, and IATS. This position will oversee vital Fundraising Operations functions including database management, gift processing and acknowledgements, data entry and retrieval, financial reconciliation, data quality control and security, prospect screenings and research, training and support of users of the fundraising systems, as well as other Foundation related activities. As a vital member of the WMCHealth Network Development Operations team, this role will ensure systems and workflows are optimized to meet the current and future needs of fundraising for the entire WMCHealth Network.
The Senior Database Manager is a fulltime position and will work from the main campus in Valhalla, New York, but will travel to other Network sites from time to time.
- Manages all aspects of the Salesforce NPSP database to support the fundraising goals and activities of the six (6) foundations across the WMCHealth Network (Development Function).
- Develops effective and efficient methods to optimize data connections and transfers between Salesforce NPSP and other systems.
- Supports ongoing data conversion from legacy Raiser’s Edge System to Salesforce NPSP and collaborates with WMCHealth Salesforce Administrator to optimize Salesforce utilization.
- Manages the work of Network-wide gift processors to ensure consistency and uniformity in all workflows and processes.
- Provides oversight of gift processing, acknowledgements and financial reconciliation; assists during high-volume times and when gift processor is out. Oversees timely processing of gifts and acknowledgements maintaining a donor-centric philosophy.
- Manages processing of all gifts via mail, credit card, online, payment processor imports, gifts-in-kind, donor advised funds, and wire transfers (stocks and cash).
- Ensures proper entry of gifts into the database with appropriate coding and packaging and acknowledgement letters/tax receipts are produced in a timely manner.
- Ensures all cash, checks, and credit card donations are batched to Finance Department in a timely basis with appropriate documentation.
- Oversees revenue processing and ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and industry standards. Ensures gift records and tax receipts are compliant with FASB and IRS policies. This includes procedures to accurately enter, audit and report gifts, gift flow, and pledge expectancies.
- Performs the month/year-end processes, trouble-shooting and auditing data to ensure the smooth transfer of data to the Accounting team as well as performing a monthly reconciliation report and review with fiscal team.
- Set-ups, maintains and updates acknowledgement letters in fundraising system.
- Generates pledge reminders and invoices.
- Develops reports and manages the regular distribution of data, including revenue reports.
- Oversees the accurate data entry and integrity of all constituent information entered into Salesforce NPSP. This includes all information received by the donor, prospect manager, third-party data cleaning services, research services, and donor screening services.
- Controls users’ access and security rights to fundraising systems. Performs monthly and annual maintenance tasks. Works with IT department to establish and maintain security procedures for the fundraising systems and protecting priority data. Ensures proper updates, backups, and server requirements are being met and in compliance.
- Primary Development Function liaison with the Finance Department for day-to-day processing issues.
- Supports and assists Finance teams in monthly reconciliation and annual audits of fundraising revenue, ensuring that all operations data matches financial data or has an acceptable explanation.
- Coordinates with Finance regarding reporting and audit requirements.
- Develops, creates, and maintains policies and procedures for data entry, audit, and analysis to ensure optimal database organization and data hygiene.
- Implements policies and procedures developed in conjunction with senior leadership for efficient and effective fundraising operations (such as Standard Operating Procedures).
- Collaborates with the Foundation team to support pipeline development activities including, but not limited to, major gifts, annual appeals, corporate sponsorships, planned giving, leadership & employee giving, 3rd party giving, and special events to promote the overarching goals of the Network and the Development function.
- In collaboration with senior leadership, works to refine and implement processes and systems to build and manage a full-scale development program and support development operations functions.
- Oversees the creation of daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports to support fundraising staff, finance department, senior leadership, and the board of directors. This includes reports demonstrating progress toward goals as well as forecasting philanthropic support in future years and reconciling with the finance department.
- Produces queries, reports, lists needed by development staff as needed for mailings, events, board give/get, and moves management.
- Leads data gathering and analysis efforts to evaluate business needs and establish short- to long-term plans for addressing those needs through existing or new technology solutions.
- Manages all development research functions to support individual and institutional fundraising. Oversees the preparation of donor profiles, solicitation briefings, talking points and event briefings.
- Manages relationships and partnerships with Technology vendors including CRM, additional applications/software, payment processors and website operations. Makes recommendations for software/hardware needed to maintain departmental effectiveness.
- Provides database management and other technical training to support all new and existing staff. Serves as the subject matter expert and provides ongoing training and support to users on how to use the fundraising systems.
- Ensures HIPAA compliance in the implementation of the program.
- Takes ownership of creating and maintaining updates to documentation around guidelines and procedures in relation to the fundraising systems.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field, seeking professional development opportunities to improve department efficiencies and personal skill development and provide recommendations for new processes, upgrades or equipment, when necessary.
- Participates in industry user forums and communities to stay informed on best practices, latest trends and streamlined processes.
- Participates as needed in the Development Department’s ongoing operations and special projects.
- Works in a multi-disciplinary, team-oriented environment.
- Performs other related duties as needed.
- Three to five years of experience working with CRM solutions, preferably in a fundraising environment, with at least one to two years of experience working with Salesforce NPSP strongly preferred
- Knowledge of leading Fundraising CRMs (ROI Solutions, Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce) as well as digital platforms (Marketing Cloud, Classy, Fonteva, CONGA)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Highly organized with the ability to work independently while demonstrating initiative, innovation, and flexibility
- Strong verbal and written communication with the ability to interact and communicate professionally with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Suite applications, including strong Excel and Word. SQL background preferred.
- Demonstrated record of success in managing large databases or CRMs, ideally in a nonprofit setting. Experience with API and modern reporting platforms a plus.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of applicable IRS regulations regarding philanthropic contributions and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong knowledge of gift processing procedures, established record of database management, fundraising processes, and donor relations.
- Solid understanding of the principles of database management and business process workflow.
- Experience with data import/export, queries, and designing and generating reports from a relational database
- Experience with data analytic tools, Omatic experience preferred
- Working knowledge of fundraising principles and practices desirable
About Westchester Medical Center Health Network
The Westchester Medical Center Health Network (WMCHealth) is a 1,700-bed healthcare system headquartered in Valhalla, New York, with 10 hospitals on eight campuses spanning 6,200 square miles of the Hudson Valley region. WMCHealth employs more than 12,000 people and has nearly 3,000 attending physicians. From Level 1, Level 2 and Pediatric Trauma Centers, the region’s only acute care children’s hospital, an academic medical center, several community hospitals, dozens of specialized institutes and centers, skilled nursing, assisted living facilities, homecare services and one of the largest mental health systems in New York State, WMCHealth is the pre-eminent provider of integrated healthcare in the Hudson Valley.
The flagship of WMCHealth, Westchester Medical Center is a 415-bed academic hospital, one of three hospitals located on the network’s Valhalla, NY campus. Westchester Medical Center is the regional hub of tertiary and quaternary care and is the primary referral facility for other hospitals, serving as a lifeline for more than 2.4 million people in the Hudson Valley. Westchester Medical Center’s mission is to provide the highest quality care for all residents of the Hudson Valley, regardless of their ability to pay, providing a network that ensures access to a coordinated continuum of care for its community.
Westchester Medical Center Foundation (WMCF) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization devoted to supporting Westchester Medical Center’s continued excellence in patient care, research, and education. The Foundation depends on the generosity of individuals, families, corporations and foundations to strengthen the world class medical care that benefits the people we treat. Each year, more than 100,000 adults and children receive care at WMC in every clinical specialty through our main hospital, Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital (MFCH), and our Behavioral Health Center.